Sloppy Joe Frito Casserole- this ground beef casserole has it all. Tons of flavor, ground beef, beans, cheese, and a crunchy Frito topping.
It only takes about 15 minutes to prep and then about 15 minutes in the oven. It’s an easy weeknight meal that can be on the table in just 30 minutes. The kids will love it.
You can serve it with toasted buns and make a sandwich out of it. Delicious!
The ground beef mixture is perfectly sweet and tangy. It’s a mixture of ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic powder.
HOW TO MAKE SLOPPY JOE FRITO CASSEROLE:
- Brown the ground beef and cook the onion.
- Add the ketchup, chili beans, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic powder. Simmer until it thickens a little. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a baking dish and top with Fritos and cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
I like using chili beans for this recipe. They have lots of southwestern seasonings added. You can omit the beans if you don’t like them.
To make this dish spicy, add 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper or add a chopped jalapeno when you add the onion.
You will probably not need the entire bag of Fritos. You be the judge of how much crunchy topping you want.
I use shredded Mexican cheese. I like its mild flavor. For a stronger flavor, use cheddar cheese.
Leftovers will keep for 3 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator but the fritos get soggy. They will crisp back up a bit if you reheat it in a toaster oven or air fryer.
Try These Other Sloppy Joe Favorites:
- Sloppy Joe Potato Skins
- Brown Sugar Bacon Sloppy Joes
- Crock Pot Sloppy Joes
- Sloppy Joe French Bread Pizza
- Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole
- Root Beer Sloppy Joes
- Sloppy Joe Grilled Cheese
Sloppy Joe Frito Casserole
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large sweet or yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 can chili beans
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 (9-ounce) bag Frito chips
- 3 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Crumble and brown the ground beef in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.Once the ground beef is broken into pieces, add the onion.Cook until there is no longer any pink in the ground beef.Drain off any grease.
- Add ketchup, chili beans, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic powder. Mix well and bring to a simmer. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle Fritos on top of ground beef mixture.Sprinkle cheese on top of Fritos.
- Bake for 15 minutes.