Brown Sugar and Bacon Sloppy Joes- the classic American sandwich tastes even more amazing when bacon and brown sugar are thrown into the mix. These sloppy joes have a sweet, tangy flavor and are finger licking good.
This under 30 minute meal is sure to be a family favorite. Perfect for lunch or dinner.
The bacon adds a wonderful salty/smokey flavor and the brown sugar adds a rich sweetness.
Sloppy Joes are one of my favorite easy dinner recipes. They are simple to make from pantry staples and are a great way to turn a pound of ground beef into an economical meal for 4. Scroll down to see more of my favorite Sloppy Joe Recipes.
How To Make Brown Sugar and Bacon Sloppy Joes
- Cook the bacon.
- Saute the onion and bell pepper.
- Cook the ground beef and drain off any excess grease.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer just long enough for all the flavors to come together.
For even more flavor, you can add a slice of American cheese to each sandwich.
To make these Sloppy Joes spicy, add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
I like to use ground beef that is 85% lean, but you can use a leaner ground beef if you want or even turkey.
Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days.
This recipe can easily be doubled and leftovers can be frozen in freezer bags for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
More Sloppy Joe Recipes
- Crock Pot Sloppy Joes
- Root Beer Sloppy Joes
- Vegetarian Sloppy Joes
- Sloppy Joe Grilled Cheese
- Sloppy Joe French Bread Pizza
- Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole
Watch the short video below to see how easy this recipe is to make.
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/4 pounds ground beef (85% lean)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/3 cups tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- toasted buns for serving
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of bacon grease.Add onion and red bell pepper and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the ground beef. Break it apart into pieces and cook until browned.
- Add paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, dry mustard, and pepper. Stir into the meat.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, soy sauce, and brown sugar.Simmer for about 5 minutes to thicken. If it gets too thick, you can add a little water.
- Stir in bacon and serve on toasted buns.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.