Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole has all the flavors of Sloppy Joes but with a crunchy and cheesy tater tot topping. It’s a quick and easy dinner the kids will love!
Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole is an economical meal and one of my favorite ways to stretch a pound of ground beef into a meal that will serve a whole family. The sloppy joe mixture itself is a little sweet and tangy and made with onion, green bell pepper, tomato sauce, ketchup, a little brown sugar, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic powder.
This easy family casserole takes only a few minutes to prep. You’ll cook the ground beef, onion, and pepper in a nonstick skillet and then add the sloppy joe sauce ingredients. Spread the mixture in a 9×13-inch pan. Top with half the cheese, the tater tots, and then the rest of the cheese. Then bake for 25 minutes or until the tater tots are golden and crispy. So wonderfully delicious!
TIPS FOR MAKING SLOPPY JOE TATER TOT CASSEROLE:
- You can use either regular shaped tater tots or tater tot rounds. I like to use the tater tot rounds as I find they get a little crispier.
- You will use most of a 30-ounce bag of tater tots. It’s up to you how heavy you want to go on the tater tots.
- I like using an 8-ounce block of cheddar cheese and shredding it myself. It tastes so much better. In a pinch, you can use a bag of preshredded cheese. If you go this route, try using a bag of Mexican shredded cheese for a slightly milder flavor than cheddar cheese.
More Casserole Recipes
- Cheesy Dorito Chicken Casserole
- Cheesy Hot Dog Tater Tot Casserole
- Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Casserole
Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 medium yellow or sweet onion, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper diced
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) package sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (30-ounce) package Frozen tater tots, you will only use 2/3 of bag
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Add ground beef, onion, and bell pepper to a large nonstick skillet. Cook, breaking apart ground beef with a wooden spoon, until it is cooked through and onions and peppers are soft.
- Drain any fat. Add tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and pepper. Stir to mix. Bring to a simmer for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Spread mixture in bottom of prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle a little more than half the cheese on top of the sloppy joe mixture.
- Sprinkle tater tots (using about 2/3 of the bag) on top and sprinkle remaining cheese on top of them.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until tater tots are golden brown.
Want to Save This Recipe?
14 thoughts on “Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole”
It was ok for a kids lunch.
Yummy thanks 👍🎉😋
We really enjoyed this! Thank you so much for sharing it!!! YUMMY!!
I came across this while searching for new tater tot recipes, and I must say it’s one of the best ones I’ve ever made! The sloppy joe sauce was delicious, with a sweetness I don’t usually find in this kind of dish. Definitely will be making it again!
Too tired to make the sauce (hurray for autoimmune diseases and chronic pain), so I used up half a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ and added minced garlic. I swapped the shredded cheese for pre sliced smoked cheddar. Forgot about the pickles, but topped with homemade cowboy candy and OMG yes! Cut raw veggies and dip are my go to side, and gotta say perfect for this. Second time making it, it’s a keeper (and this from someone who doesn’t usually like ground beef)
This was very good! Everyone in my family enjoyed it a lot. Thanks for the recipe!
I have to admit I was lazy on this one. I did not make the sloppy joe sauce I used Manwich Sloppy Joe and I did not have regular tator tots only sweet potato tots. So what the heck I threw them in after making the sloppy joe, I threw everything in a casserole dish added some shredded velveeta and thew it in the oven. After a half hour the smell in my kitchen was Amazing, another 20 minutes I took it out and it looked beautiful I let it sit for 15 minutes put a slice of corn bread in each bowl for my family topped it with the casserole and Wow!! the taste was so much more then I’d hope for and my hubby and kids Loved it. Great dinner for those rainy nights watching a good movie!
My family really liked this recipe. We will definitely make this again.🤗
I love how easy this Casserole is!
Can this be made and frozen before it is baked?
Yes it can.
This was really good and easy! I made a few changes, mostly because I didn’t want to go to the store. ☺️ I used Mexican blend cheese & a yellow bell pepper because that was what I had & used tater crowns for the extra crispiness factor. I added extra cheese because we love cheesy casseroles. Also, I used 2 lb. of meat because my guys are big meat eaters. My son, oldest grandson & I loved it. The youngest didn’t, but I think he’s in that early teen stage where he doesn’t like most things the rest of us do (and things he used to like)! 😜 BUT he’s outnumbered & it’s added to my “regulars” anyway. LOL Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe.
This was really good and easy! I made a few changes, mostly because I didn’t want to go to the store. ☺️ I used Mexican blend cheese because that was what I had & used tater crowns for the extra crispiness factor. I also put an extra layer of cheese between the meat & the taters because we love cheesy casseroles. Also, I used 2 lb. of meat because my guys are big meat eaters. My son, oldest grandson & I loved it. The youngest didn’t, but I think he’s in that early teen stage where he doesn’t like most things the rest of us do (and things he used to like)! 😜 BUT he’s outnumbered & it’s added to my “regulars” anyway. LOL Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe.
Really good served w/ something green – green beans, salad, peas and it is quite hearty!! I like how easy it was!!