Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole has all the flavors of Sloppy Joes but with a crunchy and cheesy tater tot topping. It’s a quick and easy dinner the kids will love!
Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole is an economical meal and one of my favorite ways to stretch a pound of ground beef into a meal that will serve a whole family. The sloppy joe mixture itself is a little sweet and tangy and made with onion, green bell pepper, tomato sauce, ketchup, a little brown sugar, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic powder.
This easy family casserole takes only a few minutes to prep. You’ll cook the ground beef, onion, and pepper in a nonstick skillet and then add the sloppy joe sauce ingredients. Spread the mixture in a 9×13-inch pan. Top with half the cheese, the tater tots, and then the rest of the cheese. Then bake for 25 minutes or until the tater tots are golden and crispy. So wonderfully delicious!
TIPS FOR MAKING SLOPPY JOE TATER TOT CASSEROLE:
- You can use either regular shaped tater tots or tater tot rounds. I like to use the tater tot rounds as I find they get a little crispier.
- You will use most of a 30-ounce bag of tater tots. It’s up to you how heavy you want to go on the tater tots.
- I like using an 8-ounce block of cheddar cheese and shredding it myself. It tastes so much better. In a pinch, you can use a bag of preshredded cheese. If you go this route, try using a bag of Mexican shredded cheese for a slightly milder flavor than cheddar cheese.
More Casserole Recipes
- Cheesy Dorito Chicken Casserole
- Cheesy Hot Dog Tater Tot Casserole
- Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Casserole
Watch the short video below to see how easy this recipe is to make.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 medium yellow or sweet onion, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper diced
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) package sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (30-ounce) package Frozen tater tots, you will only use 2/3 of bag
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Add ground beef, onion, and bell pepper to a large nonstick skillet. Cook, breaking apart ground beef with a wooden spoon, until it is cooked through and onions and peppers are soft.
- Drain any fat. Add tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and pepper. Stir to mix. Bring to a simmer for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Spread mixture in bottom of prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle a little more than half the cheese on top of the sloppy joe mixture.
- Sprinkle tater tots (using about 2/3 of the bag) on top and sprinkle remaining cheese on top of them.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until tater tots are golden brown.