Chicken Broccoli Poppy Seed Casserole is similar to the classic recipe, but with broccoli florets, white rice, and a creamy cream cheese base. With a buttery Ritz cracker topping, this casserole is pure comfort food.
How To Serve Chicken Broccoli Poppy Seed Casserole
This casserole is very creamy and rich so I serve it with a garden salad with Creamy Italian Dressing or Blue Cheese Vinaigrette to lighten the meal up some. Marinated Cucumbers, Tomatoes, and Onions is another great side dish for this chicken casserole.
No Canned Soup
Many Poppy Seed Chicken Recipes contain canned soup, but not this one. You’ll make a roux with butter and flour and then add chicken broth and milk. A block of cream cheese gives the casserole its creaminess.
You will need 3 to 4 cups of shredded cooked chicken for this recipe. I use rotissierie chicken, but you can use any cooked chicken. This recipe is also tasty with leftover turkey.
For convenience, I use frozen broccoli that has been thawed. Frozen broccoli contains alot of liquid so drain it and pat it with paper towels to get rid of excess liquid.
You can use fresh broccoli florets. Steam them until crisp-tender. They will cook a little more in the oven.
Make Ahead and Storage
You can assemble the casserole a day in advance. Leave the cracker crumbs off until just before baking. Bake it for 5 to 10 minutes longer since it will be cold.
Leftovers will keep for 3 to 4 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The crackers lose their crunch but it will still be good.
More Chicken Casseroles
- French Onion Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Chicken, Broccoli, and Ziti Casserole
- Chicken Florentine Casserole
- Chicken Tetrazzini
- Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole
Chicken Broccoli Poppy Seed Casserole
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- seasoned salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 3 to 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 (10 to 12-ounce) bag frozen broccoli florets, thawed and patted dry with paper towels.
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 cups coarsely crushed Ritz crackers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large skillet.Add onion and garlic and cook until softened.
- Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute.Gradually whisk in broth and milk until smooth. Bring to a simmer. Add pepper and seasoned salt to taste. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Turn heat to low. Add cream cheese and stir until melted.
- Stir in chicken, broccoli, and poppy seeds.
- Spray a 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray. Spread rice in an even layer in the baking dish. (I like to sprinkle just a little seasoned salt on the rice.)
- Spread chicken/broccoli mixture on top of the rice.
- In a bowl, stir together metled butter and cracker crumbs. Sprinkle on top of the casserole.I like to sprinkle a few more poppy seeds on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes.