Chicken Broccoli & Ziti Casserole has a delicious white cream sauce, lots of asiago cheese, and buttery bread crumbs. This from-scratch casserole makes a filling dinner the whole family will enjoy.
This hearty casserole is a one dish meal. You have your protein, carbs, and veggies all in one dish and it’s wonderfully filling.
The creamy sauce is like an alfredo sauce and it is flavored with white wine, garlic, onion, and lots of asiago cheese.
What Can I Substitute For Asiago Cheese?
Instead of using asiago cheese, you can use freshly shredded Parmesan cheese.
Do I Have To Use White Wine?
White wine is added to the sauce for flavor. The alcohol cooks off. If you don’t have white wine or don’t like to cook with it, just add extra chicken broth in its place. You will miss a little flavor but it will still be delicious. If using wine, do NOT use “cooking wine” that they sell at the grocery store. Use drinking wine. Any white wine is fine, as long as it is not sweet.
Chicken Broccoli & Ziti Casserole Recipe Tips:
- Frozen broccoli can be used instead of fresh. Thaw it in the microwave before adding it to the casserole.
- Instead of using ziti, you could use rigatoni, penne, rotini, or cavatappi.
- Asparagus can be used instead of broccoli. Cut it into 1-inch pieces.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave.
Is This Dish Spicy?
Half a teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes adds a little spice to the dish. Reduce to 1/4 teaspoon if you want barely noticeable spice or use 3/4 teaspoon if you want more substantial heat.
Try These Other Pasta Casseroles:
- Jalapeno Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Johnny Marzetti Casserole
- Spaghetti Casserole
- Million Dollar Chicken Alfredo
Chicken Broccoli & Ziti Casserole
- 4 slices hearty white sandwich bread, torn into pieces
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 cups shredded Asiago cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 12 ounces ziti
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 to 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 cups broccoli florets
- Place bread, half the garlic, 1/2 cup of shredded Asiago cheese, and melted butter in a food processor. Pulse until bread is turned into crumbs. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon of salt and the ziti. Cook according to package directions. Drain. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- To the same pot that you cooked the pasta in, add the 5 tablespoons of butter. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add the remaining garlic and red pepper flakes and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in the flour and cook 1 minute.Whisk in the wine.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and the chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
- Add chicken and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in remaining 2 cups of shredded Asiago cheese and black pepper. Check for seasoning and add salt to taste.
- Place broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl with 1 tablespoon of water. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add ziti and broccoli to the pot with the sauce and stir to mix. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish. Scatter the bread crumb mixture on top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. If bread crumbs start getting too browned, cover loosely with foil.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe adapted from Cook’s Country
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
1 thought on “Chicken Broccoli & Ziti Casserole”
Great information good work. Thanks for sharing the information with us.