This Baked Spaghetti Casserole is a wonderful mixture of pasta, cheese, and an easy meat sauce. A couple of eggs get mixed in and they help the casserole hold it’s shape. Always a family favorite.
I love to serve this with a green salad with Creamy Italian Dressing and Pepperoncini Garlic Bread. A combination of Parmesan cheese, tons of mozzarella cheese, and cottage cheese makes this casserole so, so cheesy.
Spaghetti Casserole Recipe Tips:
- Add at least a few teaspoons of salt to the pasta water. Otherwise your pasta will taste bland and boring.
- Don’t be turned off by the cottage cheese. It gives a wonderful creaminess but you won’t be able to tell there is cottage cheese in it. If you really object to cottage cheese, you can use ricotta cheese instead.
- You can use Angel Hair pasta instead of spaghetti if you wish.
- Depending on what else you are serving, you should get 8 to 12 servings.
- This recipe makes a huge amount and leftovers reheat well. They will keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days.
- This recipe freezes well so if you want you can divide it into 2 smaller portions in square baking dishes and freeze one.
How To Make This Dish Spicy?
If you want it spicy, add 1/2 a teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes.
Try These Other Amazing Pasta Dinners:
- Crock Pot Baked Ziti
- Slow Cooker Spaghetti Casserole
- Million Dollar Chicken Alfredo
- One Pot Meaty Tortellini
- Baked Ziti with Italain Sausage
- Italian Sausage Manicotti
- 1 (16-ounce) box spaghetti
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 1/2 (24-ounce) jars spaghetti sauce
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups small curd cottage cheese
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Cook spaghetti to al dente in a large pot of salted water. Drain.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook ground beef and onion, crumbling the ground beef as it cooks.
- When there is no more pink in the ground beef, add garlic and cook 1 minute.If there is a lot of grease, drain it off.
- Add seasoned salt and spaghetti sauce and stir. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, melted butter and Parmesan cheese. Add the pasta, Italian seasonning and black pepper and mix well.
- Place half the spaghetti mixture in the prepared baking dish. Top with half of the sauce, then half the cottage cheese and half the mozzarella.
- Repeat layers. Cover with foil. (Spray the underside of the foil with cooking spray so that the cheese will not stick to it.)
- Bake for 30 minutes.Remove foil and bake 20 more minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes and then cut into squares.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.