Creamy Rotel Pasta with Sausage is wonderfully creamy and cheesy with lots of spice. Can be made in just 20 minutes for a quick and easy weeknight meal.
A combination of heavy cream, half-and-half, and cream cheese makes this pasta ultra creamy. A can of Rotel tomatoes and green chiles gives this dish a little Southwestern flavor.
How To Make Creamy Rotel Pasta with Shrimp
- Cook the pasta, reserving about 1/2 a cup of the cooking liquid right before you drain the pasta.
- While the pasta is cooking, brown the sausage. Remove it from the pan.
- To the same pan, melt the butter and cook the onion and garlic.
- Add the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the half-and-half, heavy cream, and tomatoes. Simmer.
- Add the cream cheese, Mexican cheese and seasonings.
- Mix in the pasta and sausage. If too thick and not creamy enough, add the reserved pasta liquid.
What To Serve With This Dish
This is a calorie laden dish so it’s best to keep portions small and serve with a green salad and maybe some Pepperoncini Garlic Bread. Steamed broccoli is also a good choice.
How Spicy Is This Dish?
If you use “Hot” sausage and “Hot” Rotel tomatoes, they along with the cajun seasoning will make this dish fairly spicy. Add a pinch of cayenne pepper for more heat.
- Other types of pasta can be used instead of rotini. Penne, ziti, cavatappi, and linguine all work well.
- I use “Hot” Italian sausage but you can use mild if you want to cut out the spice or you can use a breakfast sausage like Jimmy Dean.
- Best served shortly after cooking. The sauce gets absorbed into the pasta over time. Leftovers will keep for 3 to 4 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You may need to add a little milk when you reheat.
Try These Other Creamy Pasta Dishes
- Cheesy Garlic Shrimp Alfredo
- Broccoli Alfredo Tortellini
- Million Dollar Chicken Alfredo
- Spicy Chicken Spaghetti
- Creamy Angel Hair Pasta with Bacon and Shrimp
Creamy Rotel Pasta with Sausage
- 16 ounces pasta, rotini, cavatappi, or penne work well
- 1/2 cup reserved pasta water
- 16 ounces hot Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium sweet or yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 (10-ounce) can Rotel tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 teaspoon Cajun or Creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid. Drain well.
- While the pasta cooks, Brown and crumble the sausage in a large nonstick skillet. When no pink is left, remove it with a slotted spoon and set it on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Wipe skillet clean and add butter. Place over medium-high heat.When butter is melted, add onion and cook 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 1 more minute.
- Sprinkle flour into skillet and cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Whisk in heavy cream and half-and-half. Bring to a simmer and then add Rotel tomatoes and diced tomatoes. Simmer for a few minutes.
- Add cream cheese and Mexican cheese and stir until melted.
- Add Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Return sausage to skillet. Add pasta and mix everything together. If skillet isn't big enough, transfer everything to a bowl to mix together.If sauce is too thick or the pasta is too dry, add in the reserved pasta liquid.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.