Cheese Tortellini coated in a creamy Parmesan sauce flavored with garlic, onion, a few red pepper flakes, and a pinch of nutmeg, plus lots of broccoli florets. This Broccoli Alfredo Tortellini is a vegetarian comfort meal that can be made in under 30 minutes.
When cooking for a family, it can be hard to come up with meal ideas that appeal to everyone
Each family member has his or her likes and dislikes and if you have a family member with a food restriction, it’s twice as hard.
This Broccoli Alfredo Tortellini is a meal that appeals to pretty much everyone and it is vegetarian on its own, but you can easily add grilled chicken to it.
Broccoli Alfredo Tortellini comes together quickly. You can have it on the table in under 30 minutes. Serve it with a loaf of crusty bread and there won’t be a single tortellini left. Guarantee.
Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
Broccoli Alfredo Tortellini can be on the table in less than 30 minutes. An easy, creamy vegetarian meal in a Parmesan-flavored sauce.
- 6 cups broccoli florets, cut in fairly small pieces
- 1 (12-ounce) package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- pinch of nutmeg
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- salt and pepper
- Steam broccoli until tender and cook tortellini according to package directions, setting aside 1/4 cup of cooking liquid just before draining pasta. Alternately, you can add the broccoli to the pasta water for the last 2-3 minutes of cooking the tortellini instead of steaming it. Drain well.
- While tortellini is cooking, melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, red pepper flakes, and nutmeg, and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Pour in the half-and-half and bring it to a simmer. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add Parmesan cheese and turn heat to low. Once cheese is melted add tortellini and broccoli, plus cooking liquid. Stir to combine everything well and cook a few minutes to thicken the sauce.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve with additional Parmesan.
Adapted from Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice