Italian Meatloaf is a tender, flavorful meatloaf made from a combination of ground beef and Italian sausage. Cooked in a rich tomato sauce and covered with a thick layer of Fontina cheese. So delicious!
It’s like eating a giant meatball! This is one of my favorite meatloafs. Scroll down for more meatloaf recipes.
The leftovers make a fantastic Meatloaf Sandwich.
The binding agents in this meatloaf are eggs and crushed Saltine crackers and they do a fantastic job of holding it together. It can be cut into nice sturdy slices which is one of the reasons it makes such a great meatloaf sandwich.
Saltines add so much more flavor to meatloaf than breadcrumbs. There’s a full sleeve of Saltine crackers in this Italian Meatloaf which seems like a lot. But trust me, it is just the right amount.
This meatloaf feeds alot of people. A family of 4 should get two meals out of it.
In addition to the thick layer of Fontina cheese on top, there’s Parmesan cheese added to the meatloaf mixture. The meatloaf cooks in a rich tomato sauce that comes most of the way up the meatloaf. Cooking it in tomato sauce really keeps it moist.
There’s a few crushed red pepper flakes added to the sauce and the meatloaf for a little heat. If you want more heat, double the amount in either the sauce or the meatloaf. Doubling both might be overpowering.
What To Serve With Italian Meatloaf:
- Slow Cooker Garlic Parmesan Potatoes
- Southern-Style Green Beans
- Super Creamy Mac and Cheese
- Marinated Tomato, Cucumber, and Onion Salad
Try These Other Meatloaf Recipes:
- Classic Meatloaf
- Bourbon and Coke Meatloaf
- Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf
- Cheesy Chipotle Meatloaf
- Old School Meatloaf
Watch the short video below to see how easy this recipe is to make.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 35 saltine squares, one full sleeve
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 pound 85% lean ground beef
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teapsoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teapsoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese or mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- To make the sauce, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 5 to 8 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and lightly grease a broiler-safe 9x13-inch pan.
- Place saltines in a large ziptop bag and crush with a rolling pin.
- Stir together the saltines, milk, and eggs in a large bowl. Let sit 5 minutes. Stir again so that it forms a paste.
- Add all remaining ingredients EXCEPT fontina cheese and basil. Mix thoroughly.
- Transfer mixture to prepared dish and shape into a 9x5-inch oval. Pour sauce over meatloaf.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Uncover and sprinkle with fontina. Place under broiler until cheese is melted. Let rest 10 minutes. Spoon off any grease from tomato sauce. Slice meatloaf and sprinkle with basil.
Want to Save This Recipe?
34 thoughts on “Italian Meatloaf”
Best meatloaf I have ever made. So moist. My husband does not really like meatloaf but loves this one. It makes great sandwiches on hoggie rolls and heated.
Finally, I’ve discovered my go-to recipe! dino game
Really good doubled reciepe next time wont double sauce made to much real runny
Have this in the Oven as I type this. I saw almost the exact recipe on Test Kitchen and wanted to give it a try. Having it with Rice and some Garlic Bread and corn for the kid who likes corn, lol.
5 Star for sure! I was a little intimidated at first with so many ingredients. And…I need not have been at all. It sounded so good and looked so awesome, I made it for company. Not too smart, but good friends and I wanted something new. I can’t remember getting so many compliments! Great meal. The only thing I changed was adding a little more milk, maybe 1/4 cup. When mixing meatloaf, it felt a little dry. It was then perfect! Highly recommend. 😊
Tried stop eating it 10 mins out of the oven finally stop after it was half gone. I know I will have to double the recipe or make 2 of them next time! I mean it was ridiculously delicious. You heard of can’t eat just one Jays potato chip, Well you can’t stop with just 2 slices of this Meat Loaf.
I don’t normally like meatloaf…this was excellent and definitely something I will make again. It was moist, and full of flavour!