Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf is covered in crispy bacon and a brown sugar/ketchup glaze. This moist and tender meatloaf really packs the flavor.
Anything wrapped in bacon is better right? The bacon gets wonderfully crispy and adds both saltiness and smokiness, plus it helps keep the meatloaf moist.
This flavorful meatloaf is sure to become a family favorite. It makes a very economical and filling meal. I love to serve it with mashed potatoes or mac and cheese and green beans or peas. (The meatloaf in the pictures is served on top of mashed potatoes. The potatoes soak up the juices from the meatloaf and get so flavorful.)
Leftovers reheat well and can easily be made into a scrumptious meatloaf sandwich. Yum!!
Tips for making Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf:
- I like to use ground chuck for meatloaf. It has a higher fat content and results in a moist and tender meatloaf. You can use a leaner ground beef, but if you go too lean you risk having a dry meatloaf.
- Ground turkey can be used instead of ground beef for a healthier version.
- It’s fine to mix the meatloaf ingredients a day in advance. Then you practically have it ready to pop in the oven.
- Let the meatloaf cool some before slicing so that it doesn’t all fall apart.
Saltine crackers and egg for a great binder for this meatloaf and help hold it together. Garlic, onion, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, and parsley add flavor. Add just a splash of apple cider vinegar helps perk the flavors up.
More Meatloaf Recipes:
- Classic Meatloaf
- Bourbon and Coke Meatloaf
- Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Meatloaf
- Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf
- Italian Meatloaf
Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf
- 2 pounds ground chuck
- 1 cup finely chopped sweet or yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup crushed Saltine crackers
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sace
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, halved crosswise
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcesetershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- In a large bowl, stir together all meatloaf ingredients until evenly mixed.
- Shape mixture into a 11x5-inch meatloaf on the prepared baking sheet.
- Top with bacon slices, placing each slice so that one end is at the middle of the top of the meatloaf and the other end is at the bottom side and they are at a slight angle. Alternate them to the 2 sides.
- In a small bowl stir together ketchup, brown sugar, dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and cayenne pepper. Brush half the ketchup mixture on the top and sides of the meatloaf.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Brush remianing ketchup mixture on and bake another 30 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before slicing.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.