A super easy Chicken Pot Pie made with Rotisserie Chicken and refrigerated pie crusts. This recipe is perfect for a weeknight meal.
I don’t know what the weather in your neck of the woods is doing, but after a week of near summer-like temperatures, it was down right cold and damp today. It’s the kind of weather that makes me crave a warm, hearty meal straight from the oven.
Chicken Pot Pie had been one of my favorite comfort foods since I was a child. This Pot Pie is loaded with shredded chicken, potatoes, carrots, and peas. With a layer of pie crust on the bottom and one on top, you’ll definitely get your pie crust fix.
If you serve this pot pie with a large salad, you can easily get two meals out of it for a family of four. I like to put one of these together on a Sunday afternoon and have leftovers on Monday or Tuesday. If you’re not ready to bake it right away, you can refrigerate it for a few hours covered in plastic wrap.
Our local market usually has rotisserie chickens on sale on Sundays, making this a very economical meal.
I like a really thick and hearty pot pie so I make my filling so thick it holds its shape when cut. If you like a looser filling, just add a little extra milk or chicken broth.
Be sure to use a deep dish pie pan. There is a lot of filling!
Chicken Pot Pie is a wonderfully delicious and comforting meal the whole family will enjoy! One bite and you’ll never want a frozen one again.
More Chicken Pot Pie Recipes:
- Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuit Topping
- Chicken Pot Pie Turnovers
- Mini Chicken Pot Pies
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
- 1 cup peeled and diced potato
- 3/4 cup sliced carrot
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup diced onion
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups shredded chicken from a rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup peas
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 egg beaten together with 1 tablespoon water to make an egg wash
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place potatoes and carrots in a small saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil for 5-8 minutes to soften. Drain.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in a large sauté pan. Add onions and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, thyme, and poultry seasoning. Sprinkle flour on top and cook for 1 minute, stirring to evenly cook the flour.
- Gradually whisk in chicken broth and then milk. Add potatoes and carrots and let simmer for a few minutes to thicken. Check for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if desired.
- Stir in chicken and peas. Turn heat off.
- Fit 1 pie crust into the bottom of a deep dish pie plate. Pour filling into pie shell.
- Place second pie crust on top and trim excess. Press the two pie crusts together to seal and crimp edge using your fingers.
- Brush egg white on top of the pot pie and use a knife to cut 4 slits to let steam escape.
- Place on a baking sheet and place in oven and bake for 30 minutes.
You can easily double the recipe and freeze one for later.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.