I’m sharing #SausageFamily in my life as part of a Johnsonville sponsored series for Socialstars™
This simple and delicious Italian Sausage and Peppers recipe is a breeze to whip up for a family meal. It’s a classic meal that never gets old. Serve it over rice or pasta or stuff it into hoagie rolls for a filling dinner the whole family will enjoy.
Flavorful chunks of Italian sausage are combined with diced tomatoes, garlic, oregano, basil, lots of red and green bell pepper and onion. It’s a comforting meal but light enough to be enjoyed on a warm summer day.
For this Italian Sausage and Peppers recipe I used Johnsonville Natural Italian Sausage. Johnsonville Naturals is a new product line that not only includes Italian Sausage, but 3 flavors of bratwurst too: White Cheddar, Jalapeno Cheddar, and Andouille.
They are perfect for lightening up your summer meals.
Johnsonville Naturals have the great taste you know and love Johnsonville Sausage for, but with a short ingredient list. They have no MSG added, zero grams trans fat, no fillers, and are gluten free.
Not only is this a meal you can feel good about serving your family, but it can be made start to finish in under 30 minutes, making it great for those busy summer days when you glance at the clock and realize it is 5 pm and you haven’t even thought about dinner yet.
Learn more about Johnsonville Naturals and find more recipes at Johnsonville.com
Watch Our short How To Make Italian Sausage and Peppers Video Below
Flavorful chunks of Italian sausage are combined with diced tomatoes, garlic, oregano, basil, lots of red and green bell pepper and onion for an easy weeknight meal.
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 1 package Johnsonville Naturals Mild Italian Sausage
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Add vegetable oil to a large pan and heat over medium-high heat. Add sausages and cook until browned on all sides. Remove sausage from pan and set aside (Note: You do not need to cook it through at this point.)
- Add onion and peppers to grease left in pan and cook over medium heat until softened. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Slice sausage into 1 to 1 1/2-inch pieces.
- Return sausage to pan along with all other ingredients.
- Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until sausage is cooked through and sauce is thickened.
- Serve on hoagie rolls if desired.