Cheesy Broccoli Cornbread is a great way to sneak extra veggies into a meal. Broccoli and cheese taste so good together and with 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese, this recipe really capitalizes on that flavor combination.
This recipe is so easy and it is made in a 9X13-inch pan so it is great for sharing at picnics or potlucks. Kids will love this recipe and it is simple enough for them to help make. It’s especially good with a bowl of Award Winning Instant Pot Chili .
Two boxes of cornbread mix are used. You can use Jiffy, but it will be a little on the sweet side. A cup of cottage cheese really keeps the cornbread moist.
The cornbread mix and cottage cheese get mixed together with a chopped up onion. I like to finely chop it since it doesn’t cook for a real long time. The remaining ingredients are four eggs, 3/4 melted butter, cheddar cheese, a pinch of cayenne pepper and frozen broccoli that has been thawed. You’ll want to take a knife to the broccoli and get it finely chopped. Then it blends into the cornbread much better.
About 40 minutes in the oven and this Cheesy Broccoli Cornbread is ready to be eaten. Leftovers keep better than cornbread typically does because of the moisture form the broccoli. Be sure to store any leftovers in the refigerator and you can reheat in the oven or microwave.
Watch the short video below to see how easy this recipe is.
Cheesy Broccoli Cornbread
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 (8.5-ounce) packages corn bread mix
- 1 (12-ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed (I like to chop it up finely)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9X13-inch baking pan.
- Whisk cottage cheese and eggs in a large bowl until blended well.
- Whisk in butter.
- Stir in onion and cayenne.
- Stir in cornbread mix, broccoli, and 1 cup cheddar.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes.
More Cornbread Recipes