BBQ Ranch Cornbread Salad is a layered salad that’s perfect for potlucks and picnics since it can be prepared ahead of time. It’s visually stunning if assembled in a glass bowl and can serve a hungry crowd. This recipe is a little bit of a southwestern twist on the traditional southern cornbread salad.
On the bottom is a layer of cubed cornbread. I use a Martha White mix for the cornbread. All you have to do is stir milk into it and pop it in the oven.
On top of the cornbread are layer after layer of yumminess. First there’s chopped romaine lettuce followed by black beans, red bell pepper, cucumber, corn, tomatoes, and red onion.
All of those vegetables are topped off with shredded cheddar cheese, an easy homemade ranch dressing with BBQ sauce mixed in, plus crumbled bacon and french-fried onions on top.
There is so much to love about this salad!
Typically a cornbread salad has a plain ranch dressing but the BBQ sauce adds a little sweetness and smokiness. I love it!
This is one heck of a filling salad. You could even add a layer of chopped chicken and make it a meal by itself.
Try These Other Salad Recipes:
Barbecue-Ranch Cornbread Salad
- 2 (6-ounce) packages cornbread mix
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 (14-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained,
- 2 (14-ounce) cans corn, drained
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 package cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 packet Ranch seasoning
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup French Fried Onions
- Prepare cornbread mix according to package directions. Let cool and cut into cubes.
- Layer cornbread on bottom of a large glass bowl.
- Top with a layer of romaine lettuce, followed by a layer of black beans, corn, cucumber, red bell pepper, tomatoes, and red onion.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top.
- In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, bbq sauce, and ranch seasoning. Pour on top of salad.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Sprinkle bacon and french-fried onions on top.
More Picnic Favorites
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.