This Seven-Layer Salad makes a delicious offering for summer potlucks and picnics. The whole thing can easily be made a day in advance.
Make it in a trifle bowl or large glass bowl for a stunning presentation.
Layers of chopped Romaine lettuce, grape tomatoes, cucumber, cauliflower, peas, red onion, and hard boiled egg are topped with a creamy homemade Parmesan dressing, shredded cheddar cheese, and crumbled bacon
To me it is the peas that really make it a Seven Layer Salad. They are my favorite part.
But feel free to change up the layers to suit your tastes and put them in any order you like. Red bell pepper, sliced mushrooms, and shredded carrots also work well.
The dressing is a mixture of mayonnaise, sour cream, and Parmesan cheese with a little sugar. It is super creamy and thick, but once mixed into the salad, it will be just the right consistency.
I love that Seven-Layer Salad has lots of good healthy stuff, but it also has lots of really yummy stuff- the cheese, bacon, and a creamy dressing- that make it taste like a comfort food. I always want to go back for seconds.
And since everything is in separate layers, you can scoop out more of the healthy stuff underneath and just a little of the not so healthy stuff on top if you want.
Seven Layer Salads have been a big popular since the 70s and they’re still a big hit wherever you take them!
- 5 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
- 1 container grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 large cucumber, chopped
- 2 cups cauliflower florets, in small pieces
- 1 (12-ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 green onions. sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 ounces bacon, chopped and cooked until crispy
- In a trifle bowl or large glass bowl, layer the lettuce followed by the grape tomatoes, cucumber, cauliflower, peas, red onion, and hard-boiled egg.
- Mix together mayonnaise, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, green onion, sugar, and black pepper in a bowl and spread on top of salad.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon on top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours before serving.
More Salad Favorites
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.