Southern Cornbread Salad is a magical combination of crumbled cornbread, bacon, beans, veggies, cheese, and Ranch dressing. This recipe feeds a crowd and is great for potlucks!
Not everyone loves Cornbread Salad but for those of us who do, it is one of the best things ever. This cool and creamy southern salad is perfect for summer potlucks.
How to make cornbread for Cornbread Salad:
The cornbread is of course the key to cornbread salad. For ease you could use a box of Jiffy cornbread mix. It gives this salad a sweetness which I like in contrast to the salty bacon and savory Ranch dressing. I make a quick homemade cornbread which has a fair amount of sweetness but not as much as Jiffy cornbread. Feel free to substitute your favorite buttermilk cornbread recipe.
Tips for making:
- This recipe is great for using up leftover cornbread and you could easily cut the recipe in half to make a smaller portion.
- This salad is easily customizable. Use a different kind of beans or cheese. The veggies can be easily changed too. But I wouldn’t leave out the bacon. It adds so much to this recipe.
- I prefer mixing my own Ranch dressing using a packet of Ranch dressing mix, but bottled Ranch dressing will work fine too.
- For best results, make your cornbread at least 6 hours in advance.
- This salad will keep for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator, but its texture changes as the cornbread starts to get mushy. Some people like it this way, but you may find that you prefer cornbread salad the day it is prepared.
- For best flavor, make at least an hour or two before serving.
More Salad Favorites:
Southern Cornbread Salad
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 medium Vidalia onion, finely diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen corn, cooked according to package drirections and cooled
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 packet Ranch dressing mix
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Whisk together flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, oil, and eggs. Add to flour mixture and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Pour batter into a greased 9-inch pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Cool completely.
- Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl. Crumble cornbread into bowl.
- In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, sour cream, and Ranch mix. Add to bowl with cornbread mixture and toss to mix. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
6 thoughts on “Southern Cornbread Salad”
Thank you for the wonderful recipes.mejor abogado de delitos sexuales
Didn’t have time for it to sit in the fridge the recommended amount of time, but it was tasty anyway. Something different! Thanks!
I made a few tweaks: I swapped black beans for the kidneys, stirred in half a lb of browned crumbled ground turkey, and added 2 tsp sugar to the dressing. Very tasty!
just amazing this is now my go to dish.
This was easy to make and so delicious! This is now my go to dish for fall/winter potlucks! Everyone raves about it! Thanks for sharing!
Oh my! What a delicious salad! My husband requested this but I didn’t put onions or peppers and used canned diced tomatoes. It took more space in my bowl than I thought and I had to get a bigger bowl. Thanks for sharing your recipe.