Cheesy Garlic Shrimp Alfredo is a wonderfully creamy and rich pasta dish with lots of garlic flavor. Can be made start to finish in just 20 minutes.
The alfredo sauce for this Italian dinner is from scratch but super easy to make. Four ounces of cream cheese combine with a simple flour and milk roux to make an ultra creamy and thick sauce. For cheese flavor there is both mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
If you want to make this dish spicy, add 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes.
What to Serve With Cheesy Garlic Shrimp Alfredo:
- Steamed green beans or broccoli
- Pepperoncini Garlic Bread
- A green salad with Creamy Italian Dressing
Stir the shrimp and garlic frequently when cooking them so that the garlic doesn’t burn.
Be sure to save some of the pasta water just before you drain the pasta. It is an important component of the sauce.
Be sure to not let the sauce boil after you add the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. It can cause the sauce to break and coagulate.
You can use any size shrimp. If you use smaller shrimp, be sure not to overcook them. They cook super fast. Either fresh shrimp or frozen shrimp that have been thawed can be used. Scallops also work well in this recipe.
Leftovers will keep for about 3 days but you may want to add a splash of milk when you reheat them. The sauce is already thick and will thicken more in the refrigerator as the pasta absorbs the liquid.
Try These Other Amzing Pasta Dishes:
Watch the short video below to see how easy this recipe is to make.
Cheesy Garlic Shrimp Alfredo
- 12 ounces fettuccine or linguine
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound medium to large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions. Save 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid and drain.
- While the pasta is cooking, make the sauce.Heat the butter and olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet.Add shrimp, garlic and green onion and cook until shrimp turn pink. Remove shrimp with a slotted spoon and set aside. It's ok if you leave some of the green onion and garlic in the skillet. You should still have a fair amount of butter and oil in the skillet. If not, add a little more butter.
- Place the skillet back over medium heat and add the flour. Cook and stir for 1 minute.Gradually whisk in the milk and bring to a simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese, seasoned salt, and pepper and stir until the cream cheese is melted.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.Return the shrimp and garlic mixture to the skillet.
- Add the fettuccine to the skillet and mix it into the sauce. If the sauce is too thick, add some of the reserved pasta liquid.If your skillet isn't big enough, mix everything in a large bowl.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.