Yellow Squash Casserole is creamy and cheesy with a buttery and crispy Ritz cracker topping. It makes a delicious side dish and is perfect for using fresh summer squash.
Yellow Squash Casserole with lots of cheddar cheese and a buttery cracker crumb topping is one of my favorite casseroles to make during the summer months. It’s super creamy with tender slices of summer squash and onion. A combination of mayonnaise and sour cream gives it plenty of creamy flavor.
I love to serve it with fresh Corn on the Cob.
Serve Yellow Squash Casserole at a summer potluck or as a comforting side dish for a family meal. I love it with fried chicken. Actually, I think I love everything with fried chicken. 🙂
This recipe also makes a great holiday side. My som requests it every Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Yellow squash is plentiful at farmers markets in the south during the summer months and it is easily grown in a home garden so I tend to make this casserole frequently during the summer months. But a creamy casserole like this is also extremely comforting during the cooler months.
Yellow Squash Casserole Recipe Tip
This casserole is really easy to make. You do want to precook the squash some because you don’t want it to be crunchy at all in the finished casserole. You can either slice it and saute it, steam it, or even microwave it until just tender.
Make Ahead and Storage Suggestions
This recipe can be prepared through Step 5 a day in advance and refrigerated. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4 days.
More Southern Casseroles
- Southern Broccoli Casserole– with a buttery cracker crumb topping.
- Old-Fashioned Cabbage Casserole– people rave about this recipe.
- Pineapple Casserole– a unique blend of sweet and savory.
- Lima Bean Casserole– Creamy and cheesy.
- Crock Pot Sweet Potato Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a casserole dish.
- Steam squash and onion until just tender, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Season squash and onion with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg, mayonnaise, sour cream, and milk.
- Stir in cheese, squash and onion. Transfer mixture to casserole dish.
- Crush crackers and scatter on top of squash. Drizzle with melted butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Originally posted May 28, 2016.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.