Yellow Squash Casserole is creamy and cheesy with a buttery and crispy Ritz cracker topping. It makes a delicious side dish and is perfect for using fresh summer squash.
Yellow Squash Casserole with lots of cheddar cheese and a buttery cracker crumb topping is one of my favorite casseroles to make during the summer months. It’s super creamy with tender slices of summer squash and onion. A combination of mayonnaise and sour cream gives it plenty of creamy flavor.
I love to serve it with fresh Corn on the Cob.
Serve Yellow Squash Casserole at a summer potluck or as a comforting side dish for a family meal. I love it with fried chicken. Actually, I think I love everything with fried chicken. 🙂
Yellow squash is plentiful at farmers markets in the south during the summer months and it is easily grown in a home garden so I tend to make this casserole frequently during the summer months. But a creamy casserole like this is also extremely comforting during the cooler months.
Yellow Squash Casserole is really easy to make. You do want to precook the squash some because you don’t want it to be crunchy at all in the finished casserole. You can either slice it and saute it, steam it, or even microwave it until just tender.
Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
Squash Casserole is creamy and cheesy with a buttery Ritz cracker topping.
- 4 medium yellow squash, ends trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup heaping shredded cheddar cheese
- 24 Ritz crackers
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a casserole dish.
- Steam squash and onion until just tender, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Season squash and onion with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg, mayonnaise, sour cream, and milk.
- Stir in cheese, squash and onion. Transfer mixture to casserole dish.
- Crush crackers and scatter on top of squash. Drizzle with melted butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
More Casserole Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.