Lima Bean Casserole is creamy and cheesy and loaded with lima beans. This is your basic canned soup, crunchy topping, southern casserole. It’s surprisingly good!
A Unique Southern Casserole
Southerners are famous for making a casserole out of anything, even pineapple.
If you’re looking for a different casserole to serve with your holiday meal, this Lima Bean Casserole is totally easy. Just cook some frozen lima beans and mix in a can of condensed cream of celery soup. You could use cream of mushroom instead if you like it better.
I also add in a small jar of diced pimentos. They add a little flavor and give the casserole a festive touch. Some onion that has been cooked in a little butter and a whole bunch of cheddar cheese also help flavor the casserole. Cuz let’s face it. Lima beans don’t have a whole lot of flavor on their own.
More cheddar cheese and some crushed Ritz crackers go on top. You could also do a French-fried onion topping.
- Add some crumbled, cooked bacon for a little smoky flavor.
- For a little spice, add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Use condensed cream of chicken soup or condensed cream of mushrrom soup instead of celery.
- Add a 1/2 cup of French Fried Onions to the topping.
Try These Other Casserole Recipes
- Cheesy Squash, Zucchini, and Corn Casserole
- Butternut Squash Casserole
- Spinach and Cheese Casserole
- Old-Fashioned Cabbage Casserole
- Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows
- 1 (14-ounce) bag frozen lima beans
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 (10.75-ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (2-ounce) jar diced pimentos, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 16 Ritz crackers, coarsely crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook lima beans according to package directions.
- Cook onion in butter until soft.
- In a large bowl, combine lima beans, soup, milk, onion, Worcestershire sauce, pimentos, black pepper and 1 cup cheddar cheese.
- Transfer to a 1 1/2 to 2-quart lightly greased casserole dish.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese and the crackers on top. Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes. Uncover and place bake in oven for 10 minutes.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Originally published November 1, 2017.