Spinach and Cheese Casserole is one of my favorite side dish casseroles. It’s creamy, rich and so cheesy with tons of spinach. This casserole is so easy to assemble. Pop it in the oven for about an hour and it is ready to serve.
Spinach and Cheese Casserole is kind of like a cross between creamed spinach and crustless quiche. It conveniently cuts into squares.
A combination of cottage cheese and mayonnaise makes it wonderfully creamy. Five eggs help it set up and hold it’s shape when sliced.
Three cups of shredded cheddar cheese add tons of cheese flavor. This spinach side dish is great with grilled steak, chicken, pork, or a holiday meal. Leftovers reheat well.
Tips for making Spinach and Cheese Casserole:
- You’ll use 2 boxes of frozen chopped spinach and they need to be completely thawed before making the recipe. I transfer the spinach from the freezer to the refrigerator about 24 hours ahead of time.
- Next you will need to squeeze most of the water out of the spinach. You can use a dish towel or paper towels.
- I find cheddar cheese gives lots of sharp flavor to this dish which is great since spinach is so bland. If you don’t want too strong a cheddar flavor, you could use half mozzarella or Monterey Jack.
- I add a teaspoon of hot sauce to perk the flavor up some. If you want it spicy, add a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes as well.
More Vegetable Casseroles:
Spinach and Cheese Casserole
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen, chopped spinach, thawed
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 7x11-inch baking dish.
- Melt butter in a medium nonstick skillet. Add onion and cook for 3 to 4 minutes to soften. Add garlic and cook 1 more minute. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large bowl, stir together cottage cheese, mayonnaise, eggs, flour, salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Add onion and garlic.Once well mixed, stir in spinach and 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe adapted from Duke’s Mayonnaise
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
1 thought on “Spinach and Cheese Casserole”
Awesome. Been looking for this receipt for years . Thank you