A creamy and rich Asparagus Casserole with fresh asparagus and a crunchy fried onion topping is the perfect spring casserole and would be a great addition to your Easter menu.
In addition to fresh asparagus, this casserole has mushrooms, onion, sour cream, mayonnaise, and two kinds of cheese. How can it not be good?
No cream of anything soup is needed. Instead milk is added to a butter and flour roux.
The crunchy onion topping is my favorite. In addition to scattering them on top, I also like to crush some fried onions and mix them into the casserole. Not only do they provide flavor, but they act as a thickener as well.
As a time saver, Asparagus Casserole can be assembled a day in advance and baked just before serving.
It’s a rich and decadent spring casserole and there’s no better way to enjoy fresh asparagus.
Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
Asparagus Casserole, made with fresh asparagus, is creamy and rich with a crunchy fried onion topping.
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 2 1/2 pounds asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (8-ounce) package white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (6-ounce) can french-fried onions.
- Grease a casserole dish and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add asparagus, mushrooms, and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 6 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over vegetables and cook, stirring continuously, for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Gradually stir in milk. Cook until thickened.
- Reduce heat to low and mix in mayonnaise, sour cream, both cheeses, salt, lemon pepper, and paprika. Remove from heat.
- Crush about 1/3 of the can of french-fried onions and mix them into the asparagus mixture.
- Transfer mixture to prepared casserole dish.
- Sprinkle remaining french-fried onions on top.
- Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.