This creamy casserole made with egg noodles, chicken, asparagus, mushrooms, spinach and Parmesan cheese is one of my favorite Spring casseroles. When asparagus is in season, I just can’t get enough of it. If only I could get my kids (and husband) to like it more.
Of course asparagus tastes good in any creamy dish, and this casserole is no exception. Covered in a sauce made from whipping cream and Parmesan cheese, this is some serious Spring comfort food. And yes, it is a little heavy on the calories so portion control is a must. Serve a side salad with it and make yourself eat that first. Otherwise you are in danger of going back for seconds. And thirds.
And then there will be none left for leftovers the next night. And one of the best things about cooking a casserole, is having yummy leftovers. And a night off from cooking.
This casserole is made from scratch so it is perfect for people who don’t like to cook with condensed soups and processed foods.
I like to use the meat off of a rotisserie chicken for casseroles. It is a huge timesaver, rotisserie meat is always moist and full of flavor, and the dog likes the little scraps I give her as I’m pulling the meat off the bone. A good tip when using rotisserie chicken meat is to pull the meat off the bone and shred it right when you get home from the store. It is a much easier process if done while the chicken is warm rather than doing it after the chicken has been refrigerated. I just put the meat in a large ziptop bag so that it is ready when I need it.
Note: This casserole will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4 days.
You can easily use broccoli instead of asparagus in this recipe.
Try These Other Chicken Casseroles:
- Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole
- Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Florentine Casserole
- Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Chicken Artichoke Casserole
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, I used 1 whole bunch from the store
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (8-ounce) carton whipping cream
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 handfuls baby spinach leaves
- 2 green onions, green parts only, sliced
- 2 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken, I use the meat off of a rotisserie chicken
- 1 (8-ounce) package medium egg noodles, cooked
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut off tough ends from asparagus and discard. Cut asparagus into 2-inch pieces.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat and saute asparagus, onion, and mushrooms for 4 minutes.
- Whisk in flour until smooth. Cook for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add in broth and cream, whisking continuously. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, chicken, green onions, and spinach.
- Place cooked egg noodles in a large bowl and add chicken mixture. Stir to combine everything.
- Spoon into a greased 13X9-inch baking dish. Top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and bake for 30 minutes.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Originally published April 4, 2014.
Linking up at The Country Cook Weekend Potluck