White Chicken Enchilada Casserole is full of diced, cooked chicken, black beans, cheese and diced green chilies. With layers of flour tortillas, this creamy casserole is so hearty and filling.
What’s to love about White Chicken Enchilada Casserole?
- It has all the flavor of creamy chicken enchiladas, but is much easier to assemble.
- A combination of cream cheese and sour cream makes this casserole ultra creamy and rich.
- The layers of flour tortillas in this recipe make it similar to a Mexican Lasagna. I think of this as the mexican version of Creamy Chicken Lasagna.
This casserole is so hearty and filling you really only need to serve it with a simple green salad. I also really love serving Mexican Casseroles like this one on top of a bed of finely shredded iceberg lettuce. I’m crazy about the crispy, cool crunch of a little lettuce in every bite.
You can assemble this casserole in the morning or the night before so all you have to do is pop it in the oven.
If you use Pepper Jack cheese, there will be a little heat to this recipe. If you want more spice, try adding 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes to the sauce or 2 teaspoons of Cholulu Hot Sauce.
I like to use rotisserie chicken for ease and convenience, but any cooked chicken will do.
If you don’t like beans, leave them out or substitute with a drained can of corn.
I love adding toppings to Mexcian recipes. Try adding cilantro, diced avocado, black olives, and pickled jalapeno slices.
Try These Other Tex-Mex Dinners:
White Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 (8-ounce) conatiner sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles, drained
- 3 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed (optional)
- 2 cups shredded Pepper Jack or Monterey Jack cheese
- sliced green onion and chopped cilantro, optional
- 10 medium-size flour tortillas, cut in half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and jalapeno and cook 2 to 3 minutes.Add flour and cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in the chicken broth. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.Add the cream cheese and stir until melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream, salt, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, black pepper, and green chiles.
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken, green onion, and black beans.
- Arrange 1/3 of the tortillas in the bottom of a greased 9x13-inch baking dish. Overlapping as needed.
- Spread half the chicken mixture on top of the tortillas. Pour 1/3 of the sauce evenly over the chicken and sprinkle with 1/3 of the cheese.
- Repeat another layer of tortillas, chicken, sauce, and cheese, (using half the remaining tortillas, sauce, and cheese and all the remaining chicken mixture.)
- Top off with remaining tortillas, sauce and cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 35 minutes. Garnish with green onion and cilantro if desired.