White Chicken Enchilada Casserole is full of diced, cooked chicken, black beans, cheese and diced green chilies. With layers of flour tortillas, this creamy casserole is so hearty and filling.
What’s To Love About White Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- It has all the flavor of creamy chicken enchiladas, but is much easier to assemble.
- A combination of cream cheese and sour cream makes this casserole ultra creamy and rich.
- The layers of flour tortillas in this recipe make it similar to a Mexican Lasagna. I think of this as the mexican version of Creamy Chicken Lasagna.
This casserole is so hearty and filling you really only need to serve it with a simple green salad. I also really love serving Mexican Casseroles like this one on top of a bed of finely shredded iceberg lettuce. I’m crazy about the crispy, cool crunch of a little lettuce in every bite.
Make It Spicier
If you use Pepper Jack cheese, there will be a little heat to this recipe. If you want more spice, try adding 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes to the sauce or 2 teaspoons of Cholulu Hot Sauce.
White Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe Tips
You can assemble this casserole in the morning or the night before so all you have to do is pop it in the oven.
I like to use rotisserie chicken for ease and convenience, but any cooked chicken will do.
If you don’t like beans, leave them out or substitute with a drained can of corn.
I love adding toppings to Mexcian recipes. Try adding cilantro, diced avocado, black olives, and pickled jalapeno slices.
How To Store and Freeze
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4 days and reheated in a microwave.
You can freeze this easy chicken casserole either before baking or after baking. If freezing after baking, let it cool completely first. When you are ready to serve it, thaw it in the refrigerator ovenight and then bake in a 350 degree oven until hot all the way through.
Try These Other Tex-Mex Dinners
- Mexican Chicken Cornbread Casserole
- Dorito Taco Salad
- Cheesy Dorito Chicken Casserole
- Mexican Chicken and Rice Casserole
- One Pot Creamy Chicken Enchilada Skillet
- One Pot Chicken Tortilla Pie
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles, drained
- 3 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed (optional)
- 2 cups shredded Pepper Jack or Monterey Jack cheese
- sliced green onion and chopped cilantro, optional
- 10 medium-size flour tortillas, cut in half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and jalapeno and cook 2 to 3 minutes.Add flour and cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in the chicken broth. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.Add the cream cheese and stir until melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream, salt, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, black pepper, and green chiles.
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken, green onion, and black beans.
- Arrange 1/3 of the tortillas in the bottom of a greased 9×13-inch baking dish. Overlapping as needed.
- Spread half the chicken mixture on top of the tortillas. Pour 1/3 of the sauce evenly over the chicken and sprinkle with 1/3 of the cheese.
- Repeat another layer of tortillas, chicken, sauce, and cheese, (using half the remaining tortillas, sauce, and cheese and all the remaining chicken mixture.)
- Top off with remaining tortillas, sauce and cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 35 minutes. Garnish with green onion and cilantro if desired.