This Mexican Chicken Cornbread Casserole has a creamy chicken filling and a cheesy cornbread top. It makes a wonderful weeknight meal and can be made start to finish in 30 minutes.
Spicy Southern Kitchen participates in affiliate advertising programs. We may earn a commission when you make a purchase through links on our site.
Only 8 Ingredients
Only 8 ingredients are needed for this easy weeknight recipe. The creamy chicken filling is a simple mixture of rotisserie chicken, canned corn, taco seasoning, rotel tomatoes, and sour cream.
For my casserole I used a packet of Martha White® Cotton Country Cornbread (6-ounce), but Martha White® makes a variety of cornbread mixes that could be used.
Use Rotisserie Chicken
To make this Mexican Chicken Cornbread Casserole super quick, easy, and stressfree, I used shredded chicken form a rotisserie chicken.
Mexican Chicken Cornbread Casserole Recipe Tip
If you remove the chicken from the bone right when you get home from the store and the meat is still warm, it is much quicker and easier to do. If I’m not going to use it right away, I put the meat in a large ziptop bag for later and pop it in the fridge.)
How To Make
I place the chicken in a bowl along with a small, drained can of corn, a can of Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies, a packet of taco seasoning, 1 cup sour cream, and 1 cup Cheddar Jack (or just Cheddar) cheese. Give it a stir and transfer it to a 10-inch cast iron pan or an appropriately sized casserole dish.
In another bowl, (or you can reuse the same one if you do a good job of scraping all the chicken mixture out!), combine the Martha White® cornbread mix, 1 egg, whatever liquid the package calls for, and 1 cup of shredded Cheddar Jack cheese you used in the filling. Mix it together, pour on top of the filling, pop in the oven. About 25 minutes later you have a hot, delicious supper and barely any dishes to clean!
You will need a 10-inch cast iron skillet for this recipe.
There are a million things you can do with cornbread besides using it to mop up your potlikker. Just look at the amazing pot luck recipes below.
Cornbread Waffles with Chili & Fixins’ from Brandi of The Country Cook
Cornbread Pan Sandwiches from Christy of Southern Plate
Chicken Taco Cornbread Wedges from Jenny of Picky Palate
BLT Cornbread Salad from Linda of Southern Pantry
Kickin’ Crab Corn Muffins from Melissa of Melissa’s Southern Style Kitchen
Cheesy Chorizo Cornbread from Paula of Call Me PMC
Stuffed Peppers with Cornbread Crust from Robin of Add a Pinch
Mom’s Mexican Cornbread from Stacey of Southern Bite
Taco Cornbread Muffins from Stephanie of Plain Chicken
Mom’s Meaty Cornbread Skillet from Tina of Mommy’s Kitchen
More Mexican-Style Chicken Recipes
- Mexican Chicken and Rice Casserole
- One Pot Chicken Tortilla Pie
- White Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Chipotle Chicken Enchilada Skillet
- One Pot Creamy Chicken Enchilada Skillet
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken, I use a rotisserie chicken
- 1 (11-ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (10-ounce) can Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies, NOT drained
- 1 packet taco seasoning, I use low sodium
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar Jack or Cheddar Cheese, divided
- 1 (6 or 7 ounce) packet Martha White cornbread mix
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix together chicken, corn, diced tomatoes, taco seasoning, sour cream, and 1 cup of cheese.
- Transfer into a 10-inch cast iron pan or a casserole dish that is approximately the same size.
- Mix together cornbread mix, whatever liquid your cornbread packet calls for, egg, and remaining cheese. Pour on top of chicken mixture.
- Place in oven and bake for about 25 minutes. Let cool slightly before cutting into wedges.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Originally published April 9, 2015.