Chipotle Chicken Enchilada Skillet- this one-pan meal is full of spicy, smoky flavor. Easy to make with rotisserie chicken.
The chipotle peppers in adobo sauce add such a wonderful earthy, smoky flavor to this recipe. I love to use them in recipes. The leftover peppers can be frozen in a ziplock bag for several months.
Quick and Easy Dinner
This meal can be made start to finish in just about 20 minutes. Using a rotisserie chicken and making the sauce from a can of enchilada sauce and salsa helps shorten the time needed without sacrificing flavor.
- Rotisserie Chicken– you will need about 3 cups.
- Enchilada Sauce– use a can of “Hot” Enchilada Sauce for some extra spice.
- Chunky Salsa– choose a spicy one if you want extra spice.
- Black Beans– can sub with pinto or kidney beans or leave the beans out and add corn.
- Diced Green Chilies
- Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce– increase or decrease the amount based on how much smoky heat you want.
- Cumin, Oregano, and Chili Powder
- Flour Tortillas– cut into strips.
- Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend
How To Make Chipotle Chicken Enchilada Skillet
Three easy steps!
- Step One– Simmer the chicken with the sauce ingredients.
- Step Two– Stir in the flour tortilla strips. Cook just until tortilla pices get soft.
- Step Three– Add cheese and cover until cheese is melted.
This easy chicken dinner is even better with lots of toppings. There are so many you can add for additional flavor. Great choices are sour cream, salsa, fresh cilantro, black olives, diced avocado, guacamole, and diced red onion.
More One Dish Mexican-Style Recipes
- Creamy Taco Spaghetti
- White Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Easy Beef Burrito Skillet
- One Pot Chicken Tortilla Pie
- Mexican Lasagna
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 (10-ounce) can red enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup chunky salsa
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chilies
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- 4 medium flour tortillas, cut into strips
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- sliced green onion, cilantro, sour cream, and salsa for serving
- Add first 10 ingredients to a large skillet and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in tortilla pieces. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese on top. Turn heat to low and cover until cheese is melted.
- To serve, top with sliced green onion, cilantro, sour cream, and salsa.