One Pot Chicken Tortilla Pie has layer after layer of flour tortillas with all kinds of goodness sandwiched in between and tons of melted cheese on top. The whole thing is cooked in a cast iron pan for a very easy meal with little kitchen cleanup.
There are two layers of refried bean and enchilada sauce mixture and two layers of a creamy chicken mixture with cheese, green chilies, and corn.
If you let it sit and cool for a little while, you can slice it into pie-shaped pieces that hold together wonderfully.
I made One Pot Chicken Tortilla Pie in a 12-inch cast iron pan with 12-inch tortillas. When layering the tortillas in the pan, it quickly became obvious they were not all exactly 12-inches. They actually varied in size quite a bit. Oh well.
You could use smaller tortillas and overlap them some. That might actually look better.
Anything with the word “pie” in the name gets me excited. Savory pies, sweet pies. Love them all. A slice of this Chicken Tortilla Pie makes a hearty and delicious dinner and makes enough servings to serve 8 people.
Try These Other Tex-Mex Favorites:
Chicken Tortilla Pie
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (10.75-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chilies, I drain it slightly
- 1 (11-ounce) can corn drained
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 3 cups shredded Mexican cheese, divided
- 1 (16-ounce) can refried beans
- 1 (14-ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 5 12-inch flour tortillas
- green onions and olives for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add oil to a 12-inch cast iron pan.. Heat over medium heat. Add onion and cook 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 more minute. Transfer onion/garlic mixture to a medium bowl.
- To bowl with onion/garlic mixture, add chicken. Sprinkle chili powder and cumin on top of chicken.
- Add cream of chicken soup, chilies, corn, green onions, and 1 cup of cheese. Stir well and set aside.
- In another medium bowl, stir together refried beans and enchilada sauce until evenly mixed.
- In the same pan you cooked the onions in (add a little more oil if it is not well coated), place a tortilla on the bottom.
- Spread half of chicken mixture on top of tortilla.
- Layer another tortilla and cover it with half of refried bean mixture.
- Repeat with one more layer of each and top with 5th tortilla.
- Sprinkle remaining 2 cups cheese on top.
- Place in oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
Originally published April 14, 2016.
More One Pot Favorites
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.