One Pot Creamy Enchilada Skillet makes a quick and easy weeknight meal. It’s full of white chicken meat, spices, cheese, tortillas, and a whole lot of creaminess! All the flavor of creamy enchiladas, but so much easier to make.
It’s like enchiladas in casserole form and it can all be made on the stovetop in one pan in about 30 minutes.
When it comes to Mexican food, it doesn’t get any yummier than this One Pot Creamy Enchilada Skillet. You have all the ingredients for a delicious Mexican meal: meat. tortillas, cheese, chili powder, and cumin. Sprinkle some chopped fresh cilantro on top for even more flavor.
Tips for making One Pot Creamy Enchilada Skillet:
- Use light sour cream and reduced fat cheese to make this meal a little healthier.
- If you like your food spicy, serve with cholula sauce on the side or you can use a can of hot Rotel tomatoes.
- The olives can be left out if you wish.
- One half a cup of salsa can be substituted for the Rotel tomatoes
- You want to use a large skillet for this recipe or you risk not being able to fit all the ingredients.
More Delicious Mexican Recipes
- Crispy Beef Chimichangas
- Pulled Pork Burritos with Cheesy Sour Cream Sauce
- Mexican Chorizo Rice
- Spicy Beef Quesadillas
One Pot Creamy Chicken Enchilada Skillet
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes, drained
- 1 (4-ounce) can sliced black olives, drained
- 10 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese or Colby Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large pan. Add onion and cook until soft.
- Sprinkle flour into pan. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in chicken broth. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes to thicken.
- Stir in salt, chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Add chicken breasts. Cover pan, turning heat down if necessary. Cook 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan. Stir sour cream, tomatoes, and olives into sauce.
- Add tortilla pieces and stir to get them coated well.
- Shred chicken and return to pan. Mix it in.
- Sprinkle cheese on top. Cover and let cook over medium-low heat for 3 to 4 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
Disclosure: This post contains afilliate links.