I love southern pulled pork (what we call barbecue) and I love burritos. These Pulled Pork Burritos with Cheesy Sour Cream Sauce marry the two together. And you can’t go wrong with anything covered in a cheesy, creamy sauce!
For these Pulled Pork Burritos, you can use some pork that you’ve cooked in the crock pot or you could get a container of pulled pork at the grocery store. Look for it near the packaged lunch meats. My favorite thing to do is to get a pound of pulled pork from my favorite bbq restaurant. If the pulled pork you use doesn’t have any or only a little sauce, you will want to add a few tablespoons of BBQ sauce to it for flavor.
Because pulled pork has so much flavor on its own, I kept the other filling ingredients simple. Just some cooked Mexican rice from one of those packets at the grocery store and some shredded cheese. They all get wrapped up in a flour tortilla and baked until crispy.
While they bake, you make a delicious cheesy sour cream sauce to spoon over them.
This recipe is totally easy enough for a weeknight meal.
Pulled Pork Burritos with Cheesy Sour Cream Sauce
- 4 burrito-size tortillas
- 1 pound pulled pork
- 2 tablespoons BBQ Sauce (only use if pulled pork doesn't already have sauce mixed in)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican cheese blend
- 1 1/3 cups cooked Mexican rice
Cheesy Sour Cream Sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely diced yellow or sweet onion
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can chicken broth
- 1/2 (4-ounce) can green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican cheese blend
- chopped fresh cilantro and salsa, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place tortillas on a microwave-safe plate and lay a damp paper towel on top. Microwave for 30 seconds. (This will make them more pliable.)
- Mix BBQ sauce with pulled pork.
- Divide pulled pork, rice, and cheese evenly between tortillas and roll up burrito style.
- Place on prepared baking sheet and spray each burrito with cooking spray to help the tortilla crisp up.
- Place in oven for 20 minutes.
- While burritos are in the oven, heat butter and olive oil over medium heat in a medium saucepan.
- Add onion and cook until soft.
- Sprinkle flour into saucepan. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in chicken broth. Add green chilies, cumin, garlic powder, and salt and simmer 2 to 3 minutes to thicken.
- Keep warm and stir in sour cream and cheese just before ready to serve.
- Spoon sauce over burritos. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro and add some salsa if desired.