This Spicy Black Beans Recipe turns an inexpensive bag of dried beans into a large bowl of super flavorful and creamy black beans. Makes a great side dish for any Mexican meal.
Top with red onion, pickled jalapeno slices, cilantro, and a little cotija cheese and you’ll swear you never tasted black beans so good. Since beans by themselves are very bland, I think they are an ideal food for making really spicy.
These beans get heat from a couple of sources. There’s 3 diced jalapeno peppers, some chili powder and chipotle TABASCO Sauce. If you haven’t tried Chipotle TABASCO Sauce, try it. It is by far my favorite flavor of TABASCO Sauce. I almost can’t eat scrambled eggs without it. What I love about it is it has a wonderful smokey flavor and it is less spicy than regular TABASCO. That means wou can add a whole lot more without it getting flaming hot. 🙂
Naturally, a chipotle-flavored hot sauce goes fantastically with anything Mexican. If you don’t have Chipotle TABASCO Sauce, I would use Cholula hot sauce and a chipotle chili powder so you at least get some of the smokey chipotle flavor.
You will need to plan ahead to soak the beans for 8 hours. Then they will slow cook for 2 1/2 hours during which they break down some and turn the cooking liquid into a thick gravy. So good!
These Spicy Black Beans will make a great side to any Mexican meal. They go great with quesadillas, tacos, and burritos!
Try These Other Mexican Sides:
Spicy Black Beans
- 1 pound dried black beans
- 1 (32-ounce) container chicken broth
- 1 sweet or yellow onion, sliced
- 3 diced jalapenos
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon chipotle Tabasco sauce
- lime juice
- sliced red onion, pickled jalapenos, and crumbled Cotija cheese for serving
- Place black beans in a large bowl and cover with 2 inches of water. Let soak for 8 hours. Drain.
- Combine drained beans, chicken broth, onion, jalapeno, garlic, cumin, chili powder, bay leaf, and Tabasco sauce in a Dutch oven.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and simmer for another 30 minutes. Add a little water if it get too thick before the beans are tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and add lime juice.
- Serve with red onion, pickled jalapenos, and crumbled cotija cheese.
Want to Save This Recipe?
1 thought on “Spicy Black Beans Recipe”
Good morning. this is a great recipe. and I wonder how come recently I see bunch of black beans recipes witch is very good but never happened before.🙏🙏