Baked Chicken Chimichangas are filled with refried beans, cheese, and a flavorful chicken mixture and baked until crispy. Top with sour cream, salsa, guacamole, and pickled jalapenos for a delicious Mexican meal minus some of the calories.
These Baked Chimichangas get wonderfully crispy in the oven without all the fat and excess calories of deep-fried chimichangas. Makes an easy family meal the kids will love.
What To Serve With Baked Chicken Chimichangas?
How To Make Baked Chicken Chimichangas?
- Make the chicken filling. It’s flavored with garlic, green chiles and lots of seasonings.
- Preheat the oven and warm the tortillas in the microwave so they don’t rip.
- Layer the refried beans, chicken mixture, and cheese on the tortillas.
- Roll them up burrito style.
- Place them seam side down in a greased baking dish.
- Spray the tops with cooking spray or brush them with oil or melted butter.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Top with desired toppings.
For ease and convenience, I recommend using a rottiserie chicken for this recipe.
Instead of baking, these chimichangas can be air fried at 400 degrees for about 8 minutes. Flip them over halfway through.
If you don’t like refried beans, you can use Mexican rice instead.
Try These Other Mexican Favorites:
- Taco Bell Mexican Pizza
- Beef Chimichangas
- Easy Beef Burrito Skillet
- Ground Beef Quesadillas
- Spicy Chicken Tamale Casserole
Baked Chicken Chimichangas
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder, I like ancho or chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 5 large tortillas
- 1 (16-ounce) can refried beans
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- cooking spray
- lettuce, salsa, cilantro, and pickled jalapenos for serving
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large nonstick skillet. Add onion and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add chili powder, cumin, and salt. Cook and stir for 15 seconds.
- Add tomato sauce and chicken broth and simmer until thickened.
- Stir in the green chilies, chicken and sour cream. Remove from heat.
- Place the tortillas on a plate and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave for 30 seconds.
- Spread 1/5 of the refried beans on the middle of each tortilla, keeping it mostly in the center.
- Pile 1/5 of the chicken mixture on top of the beans on each tortilla. Place 1/4 cup of cheese on top of the chicken mixture.
- For each tortilla, fold opposite sides over and then roll up burrito-style. Place seam side down in a greased 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Spray the tops with cooking spray or brush with oil or melted butter and bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together the sour cream and lime juice. Add enough water to make it easy to drizzle.
- Remove chimichangas from oven, drizzle with sour cream and serve with toppings.