Spicy Chicken Tamale Casserole has a cheesy and spicy conrbread crust topped with a red enchilada shredded chicken mixture. This Tex-Mex dinner is sure to be a family favorite.
This casserole is already super cheesy and flavorful on its own, but I love to top it with ALL the toppings for even more yumminess.
What to Top Spicy Chicken Tamale Casserole with:
- Sour cream
- chopped tomato or salsa
- sliced black olives
- diced avaocado or gaucamole
- pickled jalapeno slices
- diced red onion
- serve it over a bed of finely shredded iceberg lettuce for a little crunch and to make it more filling.
How Spicy Is It?
The cornbread mix has some heat and there’s also 1/4 teaspoon or cayenne pepper added to the filling. For more heat, use HOT enchilada sauce or serve with Cholulu Hot Sauce.
For the cornbread crust I use a 12.5-ounce box of Zatarains Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread Mix. If you can’t find it you can use any box of cornbread mix that is approximately the same size.
You’ll add a small can of creamed corn, an egg, some milk, butter, cumin, and cheese to the cornbread mix and bake it in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Poke holes in the cornbread and add the shredded chicken filling. Poking holes in the cornbread helps blend the 2 layers together a little so it tastes more like a casserole. Return it to the oven for just another 5 to 10 minutes and dinner is ready!
More Tex-Mex Recipes
- White Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Tex-Mex Meatballs
- Fry Bread Tacos
- Tex-Mex Pasta Salad
- Mexican Lasagna
Spicy Chicken Tamale Casserole
- 1 (12.5-ounce) box Zatarain's Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread Mix
- 1 (8.25-ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups shredded Mexican or Taco cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2-3 cups shredded cooked chicken meat, from a rotisserie chicken
- 1 (10-ounce) can red enchilada sauce
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 (4-ounce) can green chiles
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 green onions, sliced
- sour cream, chopped tomato, black olives, avocado, and cilantro for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine cornbread mix, creamed corn, egg, milk, melted butter, 1 cup shredded cheese, and cumin. Stir until just mixed. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until set in middle.
- In another bowl, stir together chicken, enchilada sauce, sour cream, green chiles, and cayenne pepper.
- Once cornbread is done, remove from oven and poke about 25 holes in the cornbread with the handle of a wooden spoon.
- Spread chicken mixture on top of cornbread. Sprinkle green onions and remaining cheese on top. Return to oven for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve with sour cream, black olives, chopped tomato, cilantro, sour cream, and avocado.
Recipe adapted from The Girl Who Ate Everything
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.