Spicy Chicken Tamale Casserole has a cheesy and spicy conrbread crust topped with a red enchilada shredded chicken mixture. This Tex-Mex dinner is sure to be a family favorite.
This casserole is already super cheesy and flavorful on its own, but I love to top it with ALL the toppings for even more yumminess.
What to Top Spicy Chicken Tamale Casserole with:
- Sour cream
- chopped tomato or salsa
- sliced black olives
- diced avaocado or gaucamole
- pickled jalapeno slices
- diced red onion
- serve it over a bed of finely shredded iceberg lettuce for a little crunch and to make it more filling.
How Spicy Is It?
The cornbread mix has some heat and there’s also 1/4 teaspoon or cayenne pepper added to the filling. For more heat, use HOT enchilada sauce or serve with Cholulu Hot Sauce.
For the cornbread crust I use a 12.5-ounce box of Zatarains Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread Mix. If you can’t find it you can use any box of cornbread mix that is approximately the same size.
You’ll add a small can of creamed corn, an egg, some milk, butter, cumin, and cheese to the cornbread mix and bake it in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Poke holes in the cornbread and add the shredded chicken filling. Poking holes in the cornbread helps blend the 2 layers together a little so it tastes more like a casserole. Return it to the oven for just another 5 to 10 minutes and dinner is ready!
More Tex-Mex Recipes
- White Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Tex-Mex Meatballs
- Fry Bread Tacos
- Tex-Mex Pasta Salad
- Mexican Lasagna
- 1 (12.5-ounce) box Zatarain's Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread Mix
- 1 (8.25-ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups shredded Mexican or Taco cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2-3 cups shredded cooked chicken meat, from a rotisserie chicken
- 1 (10-ounce) can red enchilada sauce
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 (4-ounce) can green chiles
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 green onions, sliced
- sour cream, chopped tomato, black olives, avocado, and cilantro for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine cornbread mix, creamed corn, egg, milk, melted butter, 1 cup shredded cheese, and cumin. Stir until just mixed. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until set in middle.
- In another bowl, stir together chicken, enchilada sauce, sour cream, green chiles, and cayenne pepper.
- Once cornbread is done, remove from oven and poke about 25 holes in the cornbread with the handle of a wooden spoon.
- Spread chicken mixture on top of cornbread. Sprinkle green onions and remaining cheese on top. Return to oven for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve with sour cream, black olives, chopped tomato, cilantro, sour cream, and avocado.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe adapted from The Girl Who Ate Everything
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.