Tex Mex Pasta Salad is loaded with corn, black beans, avocado , and red bell pepper and tossed in a creamy sour cream and salsa dressing. It has Texas-sized flavor. Pairs wonderfully with burgers, hot dogs, or any Mexican-style meal.
This Tex-Mex Pasta Salad is really customizable. You can leave pretty much any of the ingredients out or substitute them for other things.
For flavor I’ve used a packet of taco seasoning, corn, black beans, red bell pepper, green onions, avocado, cilantro, olives, and lime juice. To finish it off, you can sprinkle on shredded Mexican cheese and tortilla crisps.
This recipe makes a ton so it is perfect for a neighborhood cookout.
Tips for making Tex Mex Pasta Salad:
- You can use any shape pf pasta that you like. Shells, macaroni, and rotini work well.
- Don’t forget to salt the pasta water. I think forgetting this is one of the main reasons that pasta salads turn out bland.
- Make at least an hour or two in advance to give the flavors a chance to meld.
- Add some sliced grilled chicken or steak or cooked ground beef to make this pasta salad a main dish.
- Make this dish spicier by using spicy taco seasoning and a hot salsa.
More Pasta Salad Recipes:
- Jalapeno Popper Pasta Salad
- Spicy Horseradish Pasta Salad
- Shrimp Remoulade Pasta Salad
- BBQ Ranch Pasta Salad
Tex-Mex Pasta Salad
- 1 pound uncooked cavatappi pasta
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can yellow corn, drained
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup sliced olives
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon canned diced jalapeno, or 1 to 2 fresh jalapenos, diced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese, optional
- 1/2 cup tortilla strips
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 2 teaspoons of salt to the water and cook pasta according to package directions.Dran and rinse with cold water. Drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine black beans, corn, green onions, red bell pepper, olives, avocados, cilantro, and jalapenos. Add pasta.
- In a medium bowl, stir together sour cream, mayonnaise, salsa, taco seasoning and lime juice.
- Add sour cream mixture along with cheese to pasta mixture and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Sprinkle with Totilla Crisps just before serving.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.