Squash Casserole with Stuffing Top is a creamy, cheesy casserole made from summer squash, onions, and sour cream. On top it has a delicious layer of stuffing. This is a vegetable casserole that’s great to eat anytime of year.
In addition to squash and sweet onion, this Squash Casserole with Stuffing Top also has shredded carrot for a little color and extra flavor. A can of condensed cream of chicken soup makes it really creamy and hearty. Cream of Mushroom soup could be used instead.
American cheese slices are place on top of the squash. They melt and provide a mild cheese flavor and lots of creaminess.
To finish it off, a buttery stuffing layer adds so much flavor. It’s such a filling casserole it could be eaten as a main dish. In fact, you could add some shredded chicken and you would have a delicious main dish casserole.
I like to steam the squash and onions before adding them to the casserole since it only bakes for 30 minutes. Just until they are crisp-tender. This ensures they will be tender and soft in the finished dish.
Summer squash (yellow squash) is one of my favorite vegetables to cook with. Especially during the summer months. The fresh, young squash ( the smaller ones) are so tender and delicious!
Leftovers will keep for about 4 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
If you are a yellow squash lover, try these other recipes:
- Yellow Squash Casserole
- Squash Puppies
- Summer Squash and Onions
- Pimento Cheese Stuffed Squash
- Cheesy Squash, Zucchini, and Corn Casserole
- Pimento Cheese Squash Casserole
Squash Casserole with Stuffing Top
- 4-5 medium yellow squash
- 1 medium sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 shredded carrot
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 7 American cheese slices
- 2 cups herbed stuffing mix
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Steam squash and onion for 8 minutes. Blot dry with paper towels and place in a 2 1/2-quart baking dish that has been lightly greased. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Add carrot, condensed soup, and sour cream and mix together.
- Lay American cheese slices on top.
- In a bowl, stir together stuffing mix and melted butter. Sprinkle over cheese slices.
- Bake for 30 minutes.