Pimento Cheese Squash Casserole is a combo of two southern favorites. It’s so creamy and cheesy and has a crushed cracker topping. You’ll want to make this again and again with your summer squash!
Squash and Pimento cheese go super well together as in this Pimento Cheese Stuffed Squash Recipe. Pimento Cheese Squash Casserole is very similar, but in casserole form.
Not only do the pimentos add beautiful specks of color, they add flavor as well.
Summer squash casserole is my favorite casserole to make during the summer months. My son requests it ALL the time. Since I’ve cooked regular squash casserole so many times, I was ready to try some variations. This is just a slight variation, it still has the same Ritz cracker topping that I love on a squash casserole. Or any casserole for that matter. 🙂
The pimentos really give it a slight but noticeable and tasty flavor twist. Hope you get a chance to give it a try this summer!
Never miss a recipe. Click HERE to subscribe.
Pimento Cheese Squash Casserole
- 8 cups sliced yellow squash
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, (If you like black pepper, you may want to add an extra 1/4 teaspoon)
- 1 (7-ounce) jar diced pimentos, drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup crushed ritz crackers
- Grease a casserole dish. (The one I use is about 8x12-inches.)Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place squash and onion in a large pot. Add water just to cover. Add 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until squash is soft, about 7 minutes. Drain well.
- In a large bowl, mix together mayonnaise, sour cream, egg, black pepper, and remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt.
- Stir pimentos, squash and onion, and 1/2 the cheddar cheese into mayonnaise mixture and transfer to prepared casserole dish.
- Sprinkle remaining cheddar cheese and the crushed crackers on top. Bake for about 25 minutes.
Adapted from Southern Cast Iron
More Pimento Cheese Recipes
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.