Pimento Cheese Creamed Spinach is a delicious southern twist on creamed spinach. It’s creamy and rich like a traditional creamed spinach, but with lots of cheddar cheese flavor plus the wonderful red specks of color from the diced pimentos.
It’s a wonderful southern side to add to a holiday meal. On top there’s a layer of a buttery panko crumbs.
Creamed Spinach is the ultimate indulgent side dish and I love serving it for special occasions. It goes so fantastically with beef.
There’s so much to love about this Pimento Cheese Creamed Spinach. It has a full 2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese for lots of cheesiness. The creaminess comes from a combination of cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise. It’s a great Thanksgiving and Christmas side dish, but it also works as a party dip with tortilla chips or Frito chips.
Tips for making Pimento Cheese Creamed Spinach
- Be sure to thaw the spinach before using it. You can either place it in the refrigerator a day or two in advance or you can quickly thaw it by defrosting it in the microwave.
- Spinach has a ton of water in it. To avoid making a runny and watery creamed spinach, squeeze the thawed spinach in paper towels or a dish towel.
I love adding pimento cheese to foods for extra flavor. This uniquely southern food can up the flavor of just about anything.
Here are a few recipes using pimento cheese that I love
- Pimento Cheese Squash Casserole
- Pimento Cheese Grits
- Pimento Cheese Rice
- Pimento Cheese Potato Gratin
Pimento Cheese Creamed Spinach
- 3 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach thawed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium sweet or yellow onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 (4-ounce) jar diced pimentos, drained
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup Panko crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 2 1/2-quart baking dish.Drain spinach well, wrapping it in paper towels and squeezing to get liquid out.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large pan. Add onion and cook until somewhat soft, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook another minute.
- Add cream cheese and stir until melted.
- Remove from heat and add spinach, milk, sour cream, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, and pimentos. Stir well.
- Mix in the egg and then all but 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese.Mix in the salt and pepper.
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine the melted butter, Panko crumbs and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
Recipe adapted from: Southern Living
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.