This Slow Cooker Spicy Pinto Beans recipe turns an inexpensive pound of pinto beans into a deliciously spicy side for Mexican meals. Flavored with garlic, jalapenos, and ham, these beans are far from boring.
There’s so much flavor in every bite. Slow cooking pinto beans is really the way to go. These beans are great with tacos, burritos, or enchiladas. Or they can be served as a main dish with a piece of cornbread. They are so hearty and filling.
Slow Cooker Spicy Pinto Beans Recipe Tips:
The beans slow cook for 8 to 10 hours. You’ll need to be sure to soak them in water overnight or they will take even longer to cook.
If you open the crock pot during the cooking time, it will take even longer than 8 to 10 hours for the beans to cook. So just let them be.
The beans cook in chicken broth for extra flavor. Vegetable broth could be used instead.
The jalapenos are already going to give the beans a nice kick, but you can serve them with Cholulu Hot Sauce for extra heat.
The chicken broth and ham should add plenty of salt, but check for seasoning once the beans are done cooking and add salt and pepper to taste.
This recipe makes plenty to serve 6 to 8 people. The flavor of these pinto beans is so good and the texture is incredible.
For even more flavor, serve these Pinto Beans with chopped fresh cilantro and shredded Mexican cheese.
Try These Other Mexican-Style Slow Cooker Recipes:
- Easy 3-Ingredient Smothered Burritos
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Slow Cooker Spicy Pinto Beans
- 1 pound dried pinto beans
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 to 3 jalapenos, seeded and finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup diced ham
- 1 (32-ounce) carton chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- sliced jalapeno, shredded Mexican cheese, and chopped fresh cilantro for serving, optional
- Place pinto beans in a large bowl and cover with 2 inches of water. Let sit on the counter overnight.
- Drain and rinse the beans and pick out any pebbles.Place drained beans in a 6-quart or larger slow cooker.
- In a small skillet melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and jalapeno and cook 3 to 4 minutes to soften.
- Add garlic and cook 1 more minute. Transfer mixture to slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients to slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for 8 to 10 hours.
- If desired, slice another jalapeno to place on top and serve with shredded Mexican cheese and fresh chopped cilantro.