Crock Pot Cheesy Ham and Corn Chowder is rich and creamy with chunks of potato. It’s a hearty soup perfect for winter and is a great way to use up leftover ham. The creaminess in this recipe comes from milk and sour cream and there’s lots of cheddar cheese added for plenty of cheese flavor.
To make Crock Pot Cheesy Ham and Corn Chowder, chopped ham, corn, potatoes, garlic, and seasonings get added to the crock pot along with chicken broth. A 6-quart or larger crock pot is best.
Everything gets cooked on LOW for 8 hours so this is a great recipe to start in the morning before you head off to work. The slow cooker does all the work and wonderfully melds the flavors together.
Next, milk mixed with a little cornstarch for thickening gets mixed in and cooked for 30 minutes. Finally, sour cream and cheddar cheese get stirred in just before serving.
This Crock Pot Cheesy Ham and Corn Chowder is a great way to use up leftover Christmas or Easter ham. If you don’t have leftover ham, a few slices of boneless ham steak work well. You can find them in the fresh meat section of the grocery sotre.
Between the chicken broth, ham, and cheese, there should be enough salt, but check for seasoning at the end and add salt if desired.
More Soup Recipes
- Crock Pot Corn Chowder
- Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Cajun Shrimp and Corn Chowder
- Jalapeno Bacon Cheeseburger Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
Crock Pot Cheesy Ham and Corn Chowder
- 4 medium Yukon Gold, Russet, or Red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 cups fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 4 cups cubed ham
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Place the first 9 ingredients in a 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- In a small bowl, whisk cornstarch and milk until smooth. Stir into soup.
- Cover and Cook on HIGH for 30 minutes.
- Stir in cheddar cheese until melted.
- Stir in sour cream. Sprinkle parsley on top.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
8 thoughts on “Crock Pot Cheesy Ham and Corn Chowder”
How many servings does this recipe serve
great tasting but where is the spice????
I add a can of diced green chilies and 1/2 cup Herdez medium salsa verde.
When do you add the cup of sour cream?
I added sour cream right after adding cheese. Once cheese was melted and stirred in, I added sour cream and stirred in.
I followed the addition of cheese with sour cream too and this taste is good color by number
This was really good! Thank you for sharing! Do you think it would hold up ok in the freezer? Thanks!
this food same like indonesian food, the name is kolak