Hamburger Stew is an easy to make family meal that can be on the table in just 30 minutes. Loaded with mixed veggies, ground beef, and potatoes all cooked in a rich beef broth.
Easy Economical Recipe
Also known as Poor Man’s Stew, Hamburger Stew is an easy way to stretch a pound or two of ground beef into a meal that will feed a large family. I like to stock up on ground beef when it is on sale and store it in my freezer.
How To Make Hamburger Stew
- First brown the ground beef, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon as it cooks. When it is mostly done, go ahead and add the celery and onion and cook until soft. Add garlic and cook another minute.
- Stir in the flour and tomato paste and cook for 1 minute, mixing it in really well.
- Slowly whisk in beef broth and then stir in Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, oregano, and stewed tomatoes. Add the potatoes, mixed vegetables, and salt and pepper. Simmer until potatoes are soft.
I like to use 90% lean ground beef. If using fattier beef, be sure to drain the grease off.
Typically, I use 2 pounds of ground beef because I like it to be really meaty, but you can make this recipe with as little as 1 pound of ground beef.
Yukon Gold or red potatoes can be used in place of russett potatoes.
How To Serve
Make It Spicy
If you want this recipe to be spicy, add half a teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes and serve with a little hot sauce.
Tips For Making This Recipe Faster
Get the ground beef cooking right away and work on chopping the onion, celery and garlic while it cooks. Measure out the next ingredients while the onion and celery cook. If you get behind, just turn the heat all the way down to low while you catch up.
How To Store and Freeze
Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4 days and can be reheated in the microwave. This soup freezes really well. Cool completely and then transfer to a freezer bag. Freeze for up to 3 months and then thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
More Delicious Soup Recipes
- Vegetable Beef Soup
- Bourbon Beef Stew
- Easy Tortellini Soup
- Jalapeno Bacon Cheeseburger Soup
- Tex-Mex Cabbage Soup
- Baked Potato Soup
- 2 pounds ground beef
- salt and pepper
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2½ cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Brown ground beef in a large Dutch oven, crumbling it as it cooks. Season with ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper.
- Add celery and onion and cook 3 to 4 minutes.Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in flour and then tomato paste. Cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in beef broth.
- Stir in Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, oregano, and stewed tomatoes.
- Add russet potatoes, mixed vegetables, salt and pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes.