Tex-Mex Cabbage Soup is full of ground beef, tomatoes, and taco seasoning. It’s a healthy, filling meal that’s perfect for cooler weather.
Cabbage soup is one of my favorite types of soup and I love to make different variations of it like this Cabbage Soup with Smoked Sausage, Slow Cooker Spicy Cabbage Beef Soup, and Country Cabbage Soup.
Easy To Prep
The only prep work is browning the ground beef with the onion and chopping the cabbage and carrot.
It takes a good 45 minutes to completely cook down the cabbage. During this time, the flavors really have a change to marry. If too much liquid evaporates during the simmer, just add more water.
How To Serve
This soup is amazing served as is, but you can add toppings for more flavor. Sour cream, avocado, and chopped fresh cilantro are good choices. Cornbread makes a great side.
Ground turkey can be used instead of ground beef.
You can add the beans or leave them out.
You can use diced tomatoes instead of stewed tomatoes, but I think stewed tomatoes have a lot more flavor.
Is This Dish Spicy?
This soup is not spicy as is. To make it spicy, use “Hot” taco seasoning and serve with Cholulu hot sauce. You can also add a pinch or two of cayenne pepper.
Will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days. Also freezes well. Can be frozen in freezer bags for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat in a pot or the microwave.
More Easy Soup Recipes
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 small green cabbage, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can beef broth
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups water
- Brown ground beef in a large dutch oven. If there is a lot of grease, drain some of it off.
- Add onion and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer.Simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more water if needed.