Cabbage Soup with Smoked Sausage is loaded with both cabbage and slices of smoked sausage. A little cream adds some richness to this comforting, hearty soup that’s perfect for a winter meal. It’s full of chunks of potato, carrots, and onion and is really more of a stew than a soup. Serve with cornbread or fresh bread for a filling meal.
I’m actually not a huge fan of soup, but once the dreary winter weather arrives, I do crave a hot bowl of soup every now and then.
I love the way cabbage tastes in a soup. It soaks up the other flavors so well and it’s a natural choice for pairing with smoked sausage.
This is a really simple soup to make. Garlic, onion, carrot, dried thyme, chicken bouillon, a little brown sugar, and caraway seeds (optional) flavor the soup.
Next time you need to warm your belly, try a bowl of this Cabbage Soup with Smoked Sausage.
Never miss a recipe. CLICK HERE to subscribe.
- 1/2 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 (16-ounce) package smoked Kielbasa sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small head green cabbage, chopped
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven. Add sausage and cook until browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add butter to the grease in the Dutch oven and cook carrots and onion over medium-heat until soft. Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add cabbage and cook and stir for a minute or two, until the cabbage wilts some.
- Add potatoes, chicken broth, water, bouillon cube, and brown sugar.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and cook until potatoes are soft.
- Add sausage, black pepper, caraway seeds, thyme, and heavy cream. Bring to a simmer. Serve.
Want to Save This Recipe?
More Heavenly Soup Recipes