Cabbage Soup with Smoked Sausage is loaded with both cabbage and slices of smoked sausage. A little cream adds some richness to this comforting, hearty soup that’s perfect for a winter meal.
It’s full of chunks of potato, carrots, and onion and is really more of a stew than a soup. Serve with cornbread or fresh bread for a filling meal.
I’m actually not a huge fan of soup, but once the dreary winter weather arrives, I do crave a hot bowl of soup every now and then.
I love the way cabbage tastes in a soup. It soaks up the other flavors so well and it’s a natural choice for pairing with smoked sausage.
Easy To Make
This is a really simple soup to make. Garlic, onion, carrot, dried thyme, chicken bouillon, a little brown sugar, and caraway seeds (optional) flavor the soup. The ingredient list is fairly long, but this recipe can be made in under 30 minutes if you prep as you cook.
Cabbage Soup with Smoked Sausage Storage
Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days.
Next time you need to warm your belly, try a bowl of this Cabbage Soup with Smoked Sausage.
More Soup Recipes
- Easy Tortellini Soup– super quick and tasty tomato-based soup.
- Vegetable Beef Soup– with tender chunks of beef.
- Creamy Potato Soup with Shrimp
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- 1/2 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 (16-ounce) package smoked Kielbasa sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small head green cabbage, chopped
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven. Add sausage and cook until browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add butter to the grease in the Dutch oven and cook carrots and onion over medium-heat until soft. Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add cabbage and cook and stir for a minute or two, until the cabbage wilts some.
- Add potatoes, chicken broth, water, bouillon cube, and brown sugar.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and cook until potatoes are soft.
- Add sausage, black pepper, caraway seeds, thyme, and heavy cream. Bring to a simmer. Serve.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Originally posted December 28, 2016.