Creamy Potato Soup with Shrimp- this from-scratch soup is amazingly creamy and can be made in under 30 minutes. It’s a great winter soup to serve with crusty bread.
This thick, hearty soup is full of potatoes and shrimp plus some onion, celery, and carrots for flavor. A little shredded cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon finishes it off.
How To Make This Creamy Potato Soup with Shrimp
- Saute. Saute the veggies and then add the flour.
- Simmer and cook the potatoes. Add the milk, chicken bouillon, and potatoes and simmer until the potatoes are tender.
- Cook the shrimp. Add the half-and-half, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes and then the shrimp. It should only take about 3 minutes for the shrimp to cook. Keep in mind they will continue to cook since they are sitting in hot liquid.
- Garnish and serve. Stir in half the cheddar cheese. Ladle into bowls and top with cheddar cheese and bacon.
- The amount of crushed red pepper flakes in this recipe gives it a slight spiciness. For more spice, double the amount.
- Crab or scallops can be substituted for the shrimp.
- If your shrimp are large, you may want to cut them into bite-sized pieces.
- Leftovers will keep for 3 to 4 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You may need to add a little milk when you reheat it to thin it some.
Try These Other Creamy Soup Recipes
- Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- Cheesy Ham and Potato Chowder
- Easy Crab and Corn Chowder
- Baked Potato Soup
- Oyster and Wild Rice Soup
- Cajun Shrimp and Corn Chowder
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk or evaporated milk
- 6 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- crumbled bacon
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large Dutch oven.Add onion, carrots, and celery and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.Whisk in milk and add potatoes and chicken bouillon.
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Stir in half-and-half, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Add shrimp and cook until they turn pink. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup cheddar cheese.
- To serve, ladle into bowls and sprinkle with bacon and remaining cheddar cheese.