Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup is a thick, rich, hearty soup that’s full of flavor.
Shredded chicken, mushrooms, carrots, celery and plenty of herbs and spices make this one heck of a winter soup. So filling! Serve it with some crusty fresh bread and/or a salad for a full meal.
If you are a lover of thick and creamy soup, this one is for you. It’s ultra hearty. Because it slow cooks, the flavors really have time to develop.
How To Make Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup:
There’s no need to precook anything for this crockpot soup. Start by placing the onion, celery, and carrots in the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker. Place 3 chicken breasts on top. If they are very large chicken breasts, I suggest only using two and cutting them in half.
Add the garlic, chicken broth, and seasonings.
Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours or on HIGH for 3 hours. Add the mushrooms and cook 1 more minute. NOTE: You can add the mushrooms at the beginning but they will cook down into little itty bitty mushrooms. But the flavor will still be there.
When the cooking time is almost up, melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and cook and stir for 1 minute. Whisk in 2 cups of half-and-half and simmer for 1 minute. This mixture will nicely thicken the soup. Whisk this mixture into the slow cooker when the cooking time is up and shred the chicken.
Discard the bay leaves, sprinkle a little chopped fresh parsley on top and serve.
NOTE: 1 teaspoon fresh thyme and 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary can be substituted for dried thyme and dried rosemary.
Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days but it will get really thick. Just add some milk or half-and-half before you reheat it to thin it some.
Try These Other Slow Cooker Soup Recipes:
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Slow Cooker Potato and Kielbasa Chowder
- Crock Pot Spicy Vegetable Beef Soup
Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 box Uncle Ben's Wild Rice Blend
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Cajun or Creole seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Place onion, carrots, and celery in the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker.Place chicken breasts on top.
- Add garlic, rice, chicken broth, bay leaves, Cajun seasoning, salt, pepper, thyme, and rosemary.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours or HIGH for 3.
- Add mushrooms and cook 1 more hour.
- Just before cooking time is up, melt butter over medium heat in a saucepan. Add flour and cook and stir 1 minute. Whisk in half-and-half. Simmer for 1 minute.
- Remove chicken from crock pot and whisk in half-and-half mixture.
- Shred chicken and return to slow cooker. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.