Old-fashioned southern Vegetable Beef Soup is like a bowl full of comfort. So much flavor! As we approach the last days of summer, this soup is the perfect way to use up the last remnants of the summer garden.
Pretty much any vegetable can be used in vegetable beef soup- zucchini, squash, lima beans, spinach – whatever you have on hand and you’d like to get rid of. Throw it all in the pot.
My favorite vegetables to put in this soup are corn and okra. If you don’t have fresh, frozen can be used. In fact, Vegetable Beef Soup is perfect for using up those last little bits of vegetables in your freezer.
Type Of Meat
I like chunks of sirloin steak in my soup, but you can easily substitute ground beef.
Freeze For Later
This soup freezes really well so put some away in the freezer. A month from now when school is in full swing and you’re crunched for time, you’ll be glad you did. Add a quick grilled cheese sandwich and you have Southern comfort food at its best.
How To Make Vegetable Beef Soup Spicy
If you want you soup spicy, just add a couple shakes of Tabasco Sauce sauce or a few pinches of red pepper flakes.
Never miss a recipe. Follow Spicy Southern Kitchen on Pinterest and Instagram.
More Amazing Soup Recipes
- Slow Cooker Spicy Cabbage Beef Soup– a simple soup, but with so much flavor, plus it’s low carb.
- Tex-Mex Cabbage Soup– full of ground beef, tomatoes, and taco seasoning.
- Stuffed Pepper Soup– an easy and hearty soup that tastes just like stuffed peppers.
- Crock Pot Spicy Vegetable Beef Soup
- Spicy Chicken and Corn Chowder
Vegetable Beef Soup
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 2 pounds stew meat or top sirloin steak cut into 1-inch dice
- salt and pepper
- 2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained and roughly chopped
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 small russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup green beans trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups sliced okra
- kernels from 2 ears of corn
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven. Season beef with salt and pepper and cook in oil until browned on all sides.
- Add all tomatoes and tomato juice, chicken broth, onion, celery, sugar. salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a low simmer for 1 hour.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 1 more hour.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Originally posted August 9, 2015.
This post contains affiliate links.
15 thoughts on “Vegetable Beef Soup”
I haven’t made it yet, however, I noticed that there is no sausage in the recipe. Will andouille work? I’m going to try it and I’ll let you know.
You said tomato juice in the directions but it is not listed in the ingredients. ??
That just refers to the tomato juice in the cans of tomatoes.
Does it call for 2 28 oz can of whole tomatoes?
I am making it right now ……just simmering im the crock pot and it’s sooo delicious 😍😍. Thank you for sharing 👌👍
Reminds me of my grandmother’s vegetable soup!
A bowl of this soup would be delicious right now! I am looking forward to cooking it soon.
Hope you enjoy it Joanne!
I am such a soup lover. I can eat it all summer long! This is so perfect for the cooler temps that are coming so quickly!
So hearty! Love the okra 🙂
You’re making me SO excited for all things warm and cozy to dig into for fall! This soup looks so hearty and perfect for weeknights when you’ve just gotta have something comforting!
Warming, spicy, yummy! Looks such a comfort food!
I love all the veggies in this soup! Such a great way to use up what’s left from your garden. It looks so comforting and delicious!
You can never go wrong with a big bowl of Vegetable Beef Soup. It’s definitely a comfort food no matter what type of the year it is.
This soup is right up my alley, Christin! I love how flavorful and full of comforting ingredients this is. Sounds just perfect!