Jalapeno Popper Corn Chowder has all the flavor of jalapeno poppers added to a creamy corn chowder.
There’s bacon, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and of course, lots of jalapenos. This chowder really has some kick. A combination of heavy cream and cream cheese creates a really creamy and rich base for this chowder. It’s a warm and hearty soup that’s perfect for cooler weather.
Fresh or Frozen Corn
Use fresh corn to take advantage of end of the summer farm fresh corn. If corn is out of season, you are probably better off going with frozen corn. In a pinch you can use canned corn.
How To Make Jalapeno Popper Corn Chowder
Cook the bacon in a Dutch oven.
Leave some bacon grease in the Dutch oven and add the butter. Cook the onion and jalapeno to soften.
Add garlic and then flour.
Whisk in the chicken broth and paprika. Simmer 3 to 4 minutes and then add the heavy cream and corn.
Add cream cheese and stir until melted.
Stir in cheddar cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve with crumbled bacon.
How Spicy Is This Soup?
The amount of heat in this chowder can vary greatly due to how many jalapenos you use and how spicy they are. I recommend using 3 to 4 jalapenos. The cream base of the chowder really tempers their heat some. For extra heat, try adding 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
For more meatiness, try adding 1 1/2 cups of chopped rotisserie chicken.
Leftovers can be refrigerated for about 4 days and reheated in the microwave.
More Great Chowder Recipes
- Cheesy Ham and Potato Chowder– the perfect way to breathe new life into your leftover ham.
- Crab and Corn Chowder
- Crock Pot Corn Chowder
- Queso-Broccoli Potato Chowder
- Southwestern Shrimp Chowder– make in under 30 minutes!
- Cabbage Soup with Smoked Sausage
Watch the short video below to see how easy this recipe is to make.
- 5 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 to 4 jalapenos, chopped
- 1 medium yellow or sweet onion, diced
- salt and pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups fresh or frozen (thawed) corn kernels
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes and softened
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cook bacon in a Dutch oven until crispy. Remove and set aside. Drain off bacon grease, leaving about 2 tablespoons in the Dutch oven.
- Add butter to the Dutch oven and place over medium heat. When melted, add jalapenos and onion. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 3 to 4 minutes to soften.
- Add garlic and cook 1 more minute.
- Add flour. Stir and cook 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in chicken broth. Add paprika. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add heavy cream and corn and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add cream cheese, reduce heat to low, and whisk until cream cheese is melted and blended in.
- Stir in cheddar cheese.
- Crumble the bacon and sprinkle on top. Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve.