I’m not a huge soup person. They’re not something I eat on a regular basis. I know I’m in the minority. There are so many soup lovers out there! But every now and then, especially with sub-freezing temperatures (yikes!), I enjoy a warm, hearty bowl of soup.
And there’s nothing not to enjoy about this soup with potatoes, cheese, and broccoli. Who doesn’t love that combination? It’s cheesy, and rich, and creamy with a little kick to it.
This recipe for Queso-Broccoli Potato Chowder calls for half a bag of southwestern flavored refrigerated hash browns and they give the soup a very unique flavor. You could just use regular hash browns and add seasonings, but it’s super easy and convenient to use the pre-flavored hash browns.
You can make this soup vegetarian by subbing vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
This is a stick to your bones type soup that will comfort you through this ongoing cold spell. But as delicious as Queso-Broccoli Soup is, I won’t be sorry to see soup season come to an end. Hopefully sooner rather than later. 🙂
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 poblano peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 (20-ounce) package refrigerated Southwestern-style hash brown potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup freshly shredded asadero cheese, can substitute Monterey jack
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- Melt butter in a Dutch Oven over medium-high heat and saute red pepper, onion, and poblano pepper for 4-5 minutes. Add garlic, hash browns, and cumin and saute 5 minutes, until browned.
- Gradually stir in broth and scrap up brown pieces from bottom of Dutch Oven using a wooden spoon. Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer 20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, milk, and half-and-half. Stir into potato mixture and cook over medium heat while stirring for about 5 minutes (until thickened). Reduce heat to low.
- Add cheeses and stir until cheese is melted.
- Rinse broccoli and place still wet florets in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 2-3 minutes or until desired tenderness.
- Serve chowder in bowls with broccoli on top.
For an extra thick and hearty soup, use up to the full bag of hash browns.
Recipe Source: adapted from Southern Living