I’m not a huge soup person. They’re not something I eat on a regular basis. I know I’m in the minority. There are so many soup lovers out there! But every now and then, especially with sub-freezing temperatures (yikes!), I enjoy a warm, hearty bowl of soup.
And there’s nothing not to enjoy about this soup with potatoes, cheese, and broccoli. Who doesn’t love that combination? It’s cheesy, and rich, and creamy with a little kick to it.
This recipe for Queso-Broccoli Potato Chowder calls for half a bag of southwestern flavored refrigerated hash browns and they give the soup a very unique flavor. You could just use regular hash browns and add seasonings, but it’s super easy and convenient to use the pre-flavored hash browns.
You can make this soup vegetarian by subbing vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
This is a stick to your bones type soup that will comfort you through this ongoing cold spell. But as delicious as Queso-Broccoli Soup is, I won’t be sorry to see soup season come to an end. Hopefully sooner rather than later. 🙂
Queso-Broccoli Potato Chowder
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 poblano peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 (20-ounce) package refrigerated Southwestern-style hash brown potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup freshly shredded asadero cheese, can substitute Monterey jack
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- Melt butter in a Dutch Oven over medium-high heat and saute red pepper, onion, and poblano pepper for 4-5 minutes. Add garlic, hash browns, and cumin and saute 5 minutes, until browned.
- Gradually stir in broth and scrap up brown pieces from bottom of Dutch Oven using a wooden spoon. Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer 20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, milk, and half-and-half. Stir into potato mixture and cook over medium heat while stirring for about 5 minutes (until thickened). Reduce heat to low.
- Add cheeses and stir until cheese is melted.
- Rinse broccoli and place still wet florets in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 2-3 minutes or until desired tenderness.
- Serve chowder in bowls with broccoli on top.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe Source: adapted from Southern Living
21 thoughts on “Queso-Broccoli Potato Chowder”
That’s a whole lot of amazing flavors in one big old bowl! This has to be amazing!
I’m crazy about soup. I just absolutely love them especially when they involve cheese and veggies. This chowder looks super comforting!
Ooo I love the addition of the southwest hash browns, so unique! I am one of those people that could eat soup anytime, but I think I’d even eat this on the hottest day of summer, it looks so good!
Thanks Nicole! Your roasted cauliflower soup that you posted yesterday looks amazing!
I’m a big soup fan, and this one looks like a delicious one I need to try! Queso + broccoli?? I’m in! Yay for all cheesy things!
Have a lovely weekend and stay warm my friend! xx
You too Consuelo! 🙂
I love soup, love broccoli a lot and this sounds like a wonderful combination. 🙂
I hope you guys are staying warm, it is 4 degrees at our house this morning in Greenville! If it’s going to be that cold we should have snow!
I love soup, but I don’t have it that often. I think I have only ever made soup from scratch once in my life!!
This soup looks fantastic. Now that I have this recipe, I might make soup more often. Thanks for sharing!!
Christin, this looks PERFECT for cold temperatures! I was with you – I was never a huge fan of soup either, but after experimenting with it and learning how many creative ways you can put it together, I have become a huge soup lover! And, I have to admit – this looks like one I’d love to try! Pinned!
I’m a soup fanatic, and this sounds like a wonderful combination, Christin!
I dont think I have ever had a soup with hash browns – sounds so sinfully delicious!
Oh, I LOVE soup! Especially on the cold days we have been having lately. Nothing else warms me up quite the same way =-)
I’m the opposite, I LOVE soup. I could eat it in the summer (and often do). You had me at queso!
I am a big fan of soup usually when it’s really cold outside. This chowder looks nice and creamy and sounds perfect to warm up with 🙂
Goodness, this is perfect soup. I’m kinda swooning, kinda weak in the knees – really, I love this!
I love soup, but I’m pretty picky about what type I eat. I prefer thick soups like this one. A bowl of this would be the perfect way to warm up on a cold winter day!
Yum! This soup sounds and looks delicious, yes…lots of cheese and creamy.
Thanks for the recipe Christin and hope you are enjoying your week 😀
This looks awesome!
I adore soup!! Especially when it’s cold outside – that’s all I want. Beautiful styling, this chowder looks amazing!
I am also not a big soup fan..and really agree with you, when it’s cold, soup becomes really good warming food 🙂 Your chowder looks like a lovely comfort food 🙂