Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole is a classic casserole that’s wonderfully creamy with a buttery cracker crub topping. So simple to make for a weeknight meal!
This creamy Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole topped with a cheesy Ritz cracker topping is comfort food at its finest. Who doesn’t love a buttery Ritz cracker topping? Especially when there is some cheese mixed in. It’s the best part.
Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole is a classic southern dish that you’ll find a recipe for in practically every community or church cookbook. And strangely enough, you’ll find little variation between recipes. Or maybe that’s not strange, because why tinker with something that tastes as good as Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole?
How to Make Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole:
Shredded or diced chicken (I use a rotisserie chicken) is mixed with Cream of Chicken Condensed Soup and sour cream and topped with poppy seeds and a Ritz cracker topping. I also like to add just a little celery salt and some Cheddar cheese. This casserole only takes a few minutes to mix together and then it just needs a little over 30 minutes on the oven.
It’s a super easy comfort meal that will appeal to the whole family. And make sure you get dibs on the leftovers. It reheats really well too.
This recipe freezes really well. You can double it and bake one for now and freeze one for later. It’s the perfect casserole to give to a friend who has just had a baby or a neighbor who is going through a rough patch. Just pair it with a green salad or some rice and green beans for a full meal.
More Chicken Casseroles:
Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of chicken condensed soup
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers (about 32), crushed
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly coat a 2-quart baking dish with butter.
- In a large bowl, mix chicken, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, poppy seeds, celery salt, black pepper, 1/2 of cheddar, 1/2 Ritz crackers.
- Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese and cracker crumbs on top. Drizzle butter over topping and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
Originally published December 28, 2013