King Ranch Chicken Casserole has layers of corn tortillas, cheddar cheese, and a creamy chicken mixture. So much flavor and spice in this easy to make casserole.
This classic Texas casserole is pure confort food and is great for feeding a large crowd. It’s like a Tex-Mex lasagna, but easier to make.
HOW SPICY IS THIS KING RANCH CHICKEN CASSEROLE?
The spice for this casserole comes from 3 sources. There’s a jalapeno, chipotle chili powder, and a can of Rotel tomatoes. As is, it has a fairly small degree of spice if you use a regular can of Rotel tomatoes and your jalapeno is on the milder side. If you want to up the spice level, use 2 jalapenoes and a can of “Hot” Rotel tomatoes. You can also serve it with Cholulu Hot Sauce.
King Ranch Chicken Casserole is easy to make with condensed cream of chicken soup and rotisserie chicken. You’ll need about 4 cups of diced, cooked chicken which is about the amount of meat on a rotisserie chicken. You could poach or bake some chicken instead.
Two cans of condensed soup and sour cream make this a super creamy casserole. Two cups of shredded cheddar cheese adds lots of cheese flavor.
If you don’t like to use canned soup in recipes, just look up a recipe for a homemade condensed chicken soup.
This casserole doesn’t take long at all to assemble and then only needs 30 minutes to cook in the oven. Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days and can be reheated in the microwave.
If you love Tex-Mex flavors, you are going to love this casserole. It is extremely cheesy, creamy, and good.
Try These Other Delicious Casseroles:
- Chicken and Dumpling Casserole
- Cheesy Chicken Dorito Casserole
- Spicy Chicken Tamale Casserole
- White Chicken Enchilada Casserole
King Ranch Chicken Casserole
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups cooked, diced chicken
- 2 cans condensed cream of chicken soup or 1 can condensed cream of chicken and 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup.
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can Rotel diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 12 corn tortillas, torn into quarters
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- sliced green onions, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.Add onion, bell peppers, and jalapeno and cook 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 1 more minute.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, condensed chicken soup, chicken broth, Rotel tomatoes, sour cream , cumin, chipotle chili powder, dried oregano, and onion/pepper mixture.Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Lightly grease a 9x13-inch pan. Cover the bottom with half the tortilla pieces.
- Spread half the chicken mxture on top of the tortillas.
- Sprinkle half the cheese on top.
- Repeat layers.
- Place in oven for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions (optional).
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.