Chicken and Dumpling Casserole is the easiest way to enjoy Chicken and Dumplings. This creamy and delicious chicken casserole is comfort food at its best.
Use a rotisserie chicken and this casserole just takes minutes to prep and then it bakes for 35 to 45 minutes. Pure comfort food. Serve this easy casserole with cornbread or yeast rolls and a salad for a full meal the whole family will love.
The great thing about this recipe is there are no dumplings to make. The dumplings make themselves. If you’ve ever made a Peach Cobbler recipe like this one, it’s the same concept. Arrange the chicken in a casserole dish and then pour a liquid mixture over it. The dumplings form themselves as the casserole bakes. You won’t have actual physical dumplings but the top layer will have the taste and texture of dumplings.
Chicken and Dumpling Casserole Recipe Tips:
- Use rotisserie chicken to make this casserole quick and easy. You’ll need about 4 cups of chicken, but as little as 3 cups will work. If you don’t want to use rotisserie chicken, you can cook some chicken in the crock pot to use.
- Be sure to use self-rising flour which already has leavener added. Regular all-purpose flour will not work.
- Cook the onion and celery long enough to get them soft. You don’t want the celery to be crunchy in the casserole.
- Cream of Mushroom Soup or Cream of Celery Soup can be used instead of Cream of Chicken.
- If you like peas in casseroles, try adding 1/2 cup to 1 cop of frozen, defrosted peas to the casserole. You could also add a little carrot in with the onion and celery.
- When you add the milk mixture and the soup mixture, DO NOT STIR.
More Chicken and Dumpling Recipes:
Chicken and Dumpling Casserole
- 8 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 celery rib, finely diced
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10.75-ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Melt butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and celery and cook for 5 minutes. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Transfer mixture to a 9x13-inch baking pan. Spread evenly.
- Add chicken to baking dish and spread evenly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and milk. Slowly pour evenly over chicken. Do not stir.
- In a medium bowl stir together chicken broth, chicken soup,and sage. (You can use the bowl you just used.) Slowly pour into baking pan. Do not stir.
- Bake uncovered for 35 to 45 minutes. Let sit 5 minutes before serving.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.