Fresh tender Spring asparagus covered in a cheesy sauce and cracker crumbs and broiled until warm and golden. Asparagus Mornay is perfect for a Spring Brunch, especially a Mother’s Day brunch.
It makes such a gorgeous and impressive side dish and everything is better in cheese sauce right?
The cheese sauce is super easy to prepare from scratch and some chicken bouillon granules and nutmeg give plenty of flavor to compliment the swiss cheese in the sauce.
To finish it off, some crushed Ritz crackers- they make just about any side dish better with their buttery, crispy crunch!
Never miss a recipe. Follow Spicy Southern Kitchen on Youtube, Pinterest and Facebook.
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, I prefer thick stalks
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup shredded swiss cheese, about 3 ounces
- freshly ground black pepper
- 5 Buttery crackers, crushed, (I use Ritz)
- Snap off tough ends of asparagus and discard. Cook asparagus in boiling water until crisp-tender, about 6 to 8 minutes. Drain and pat dry. Place in a greased baking dish.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add flour and whisk and cook for 1 minute.
- Add bouillon granules and gradually whisk in half-and-half.
- Bring to a simmer, whisking constantly and cook until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in paprika, salt, and nutmeg.
- Add cheese and whisk until completely melted.
- Pour Mornay sauce over asparagus and season with a little black pepper.
- Sprinkle crushed crackers on top.
- Broil just long enough to warm sauce back up and get crackers golden. (Warning: crackers will burn very quickly. Keep an eye on it.)
Want to Save This Recipe?
More Asparagus Recipes
Asparagus and Mascarpone Gratin
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
4 thoughts on “Asparagus Mornay”
LOVE your websight!!! Would like to be sent your e-mails!!!
This is my new favorite way to eat asparagus! Just as good as hollandaise sauce but easier.
I haven’t had mornay sauce since cooking school — you’re taking me back! This asparagus looks so delicious with that sauce and I love the ritz crackers for crunch!
I love all the textural differences in this asparagus dish! So yummy 🙂