Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows is the perfect combination of smooth and creamy sweet potatoes topped with a gooey layer of marshmallows. The marshmallows get a little crunchy around the edges and they are my favorite part. This casserole is sure to be a Thanksgiving favorite. Who can resist marshmallows being on their dinner plate?
I love to eat sweet potatoes all fall long and while I prefer a savory sweet potato casserole, I have a special fondness in my heart for sweet potato casserole with marshmallows since I grew up eating it.
This one has just the right amount of brown sugar mixed into the sweet potatoes. It’s a simple recipe that you can add to your Thanksgiving menu with very little effort.
I like to bake my sweet potatoes in the oven until really soft. Then the skin peels away very easily. If you prefer, you can peel the uncooked sweet potatoes, slice them, and boil them in water until soft. Either way works. Baking them takes a little more overall time, but much less hands on time.
I like my marshmallows to get really browned and crispy around the edges. If you want yours less browned, just remove the casserole from the oven earlier.
Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, about 5 medium
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (10-ounce) bag mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake sweet potatoes for 1 hour or until tender. (Sweet potatoes sometimes ooze and make a mess in the oven. I cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy clean up and place the sweet potatoes on it.)
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Let sweet potatoes cool some and then peel the skin off. Place peeled sweet potatoes in a mixing bowl.
- Add brown sugar, butter, egg, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon.
- Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Transfer sweet potato mixture to a greased 11x7-inch baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remover from oven and sprinkle marshmallows on top. Return to oven for 10 minutes.
More Thanksgiving Favorites
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.